The iPad 3 hysteria is reaching a fever pitch, and even I am getting swept up in the excitement. So much so that I just sat down and made a short list of the things I would most like to see Apple add to its next tablet device.
Before I unleash my list upon the unsuspecting masses, I must reiterate that I do know that some of these are never going to happen, but that’s kind of the fun of a wishlist, right? Asking for things that would be mind-bendlingly awesome but are almost impossible, or just highly improbable.
With that out of the way, onwards we go to my iPad 3 feature wishlist…
- Retina display – Almost guaranteed at this point, a new high-resolution screen is top of my list of wants for this iteration of iPad. The current model’s resolution may have been fine pre-iPhone 4, but now we are all so used to a screen that is laminate to the glass above it, anything less just feels cheap.
- Increased memory – While a new dual-core chip is being rumored heavily, it is the memory which I think could do with improvement. The way iOS handles multitasking is unique, but throwing more memory at things always improves them. Not having to re-load games and apps that remember their state no matter how long ago they were used would help push the iPad to the next level.
- Smaller bezel – The iPad 2’s bezel is far from huge, but any improvement over the current model would be greatly received. Apple’s tablet already has the illusion of just being a slab of glass, and removing as much of that black frame as possible can only help.
- Improved cameras front & back – If only to stop people whining about how poor the current shooters are!
- Higher capacity storage options – Let’s face it, it’s only a matter of time before we get a 128 GB iPad. With games getting larger and larger, and HD media required for that high-resolution screen, the more storage the better really.
- Improved speakers – If you’ve ever listened to music or a podcast on your iPad then you’ll know that the built-in speakers leave a lot to be desired. Let’s have an improvement here please, Apple. The speaker on the iPhone 4S, for example, is much better than anything that has come before it.
- A trackpad on the back of the iPad – Hey, if the Playstation Vita can have one, why can’t an iPad?!