Everyone’s dying to get their hands on the first beta of iOS 5 and try out all of its terrific new features, but unless you’re signed up to the $99 per year Apple developer program, you’ll have to wait until later this year to get your hands on the public release. That is, until now!
A Gizmodo reader has discovered a “backdoor” that allows you to install iOS 5 on the iPhone and enjoy all of its features without having to register its UDID with Apple first…
This workaround takes advantage of a Voice Over security flaw within the activation screen. Here’s how to do it:
First, you’ll need the iOS 5 firmware, which you’ll find with a quick Google search. Now, update your device in iTunes by holding the ‘Option’ key while you click the ‘Check for Update’ button, then select your iOS 5 IPSW file. When your device reboots, you’ll be greeted by a new activation screen.
Now follow these steps:
1. Triple click the home button. This will activate Voice Over.
2. Triple click the home button and Emergency Call will appear.
3. Click on Emergency Call and, while it’s switching, swipe your three fingers down.
4. The Notification Center will appear!
5. Click on the Weather widget. The Weather app will load.
6. Click on the home button to exit to the iPhone’s springboard.
Your device should now be activated and fully functional with the iOS 5 firmware.
While this is incredibly cool, and a great way to get your hands on iOS 5 early, we don’t recommend you try this on your primary device. If anything goes wrong, you’re stuck with an iOS 5 beta that you can’t activate, and an iOS device that will be nothing more than an expensive paperweight until this Fall.
If you do try it, however, let us know how it goes.