iPhone Download Blog reader kper sent me a very good hack for iPhone 2G or 3G owners who would like to have the same video editing capabilities as the iPhone 3GS. Basically, this allows you to view the videos you record with Cycorder or VideoRecorder directly in your Camera Roll. Additionally, you can trim the videos, exactly like on an iPhone 3GS.
Needless to say that this hack is only available for jailbroken iPhones (read this for jailbreaking information). In order to set this up, you’ll need a few applications available from Cydia: SSH, Terminal, SBSettings, and either Cycorder or VideoRecorder (I recommend Cycorder).
1. Download Video Toggle and unzip the file.
2. SSH the unzipped file to \private\var\tmp\
3. Enter Terminal as a Super User (type su – username: root – password: alpine) and type bash /private/var/tmp/VideoToggle/install (note there is a space between “bash” and “/”
4. Your iPhone should respring by itself. If it doesn’t, simply reboot your iphone.
You should now have a new toggle in SBSettings that allows you to edit videos recorded.
To try it out, either record a new video or go to your Camera Roll if you already recorded videos and you should see your videos there. Open a video and you should see the bar that lets you trim videos.
A few warnings:
- This is a hack. You do this at your own risks! Don’t come back yelling at me if you mess up your iPhone.
- This seems to be a little buggy. Again, perform this hack at your own risks!
- When you trim a video, you lose the original video
- When the toggle is on, you can’t take pictures anymore (switch it off to take pictures again)
I haven’t done this myself as I own an iPhone 3GS but kper has always been a good tipper so I trust him on this. Once again, you are doing this at your own risks!
If you have sweet hacks like this one, please feel free to send them to me 😉