How to jailbreak 3G iPhone? How to unlock an iPhone 2G? These are 2 questions that will find an answer in the next few paragraphs. Believe it or not but it is illegal to jailbreak or unlock your iPhone but more importantly, it voids your warranty. Basically, you are unlocking/jailbreaking your iPhone at your own risk.
One last thing before we start…. Please do not complain to me if you have problems or if you have to restore several times. I am providing this WinPwn tutorial without any guarantee. I mean, I know it works and I know if you do everything I tell you, you won’t have any problem. But I hate receiving insulting emails telling me what a jackass I am (I already know that, haha). If you’re having issues, please post in the comments and I will do my best to answer your questions. Any insulting comment will be deleted.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: There is a confirmed bug with WinPwn 2.5 that can cause the WinPwn application to crash during the creation of your IPSW. Some users are finding that increasing the partition size to 700MB will resolve the issue. To specify the root size partition click the “Expert Mode” button before starting the tutorial. You will be asked to resize the partition before the IPSW starts building.
Ok, so let’s learn how to jailbreak or unlock an iPhone (note that unlock is only available for iPhone 2G so far).
- Download WinPwn 2.5 from our iPhone Downloads section. make sure you have iTunes 7.7 or upper. Download bootloaders 3.9 and 4.6 if you want to unlock your iPhone 3G.
- Open WinPwn 2.5. You will need the .net framework installed on your PC. It is most likely already here but if WinPwn 2.5 crashes, go to Microsoft website and download the .net framework.
- Leave the “Basic Mode” on. Choose your device.
- Select the green thumb up if you are using an official carrier like AT&T. If not, select the red thumb down. The red thumbs down will unlock and activate while the green will not. Answer the rest of the questions WinPwn will ask you. They are pretty simple.
- Select if you want to use a custom logo or not. For the purpose of this tutorial, we will use a custom logo.
- Select your firmware.
- Select the logo you want. Click the “Browse” button should you want to go online find more logos.
- If you are on an approved carrier such as AT&T in the US, skip to the next step. Otherwise, you will have a message saying: “Could not find BL-39.bin! Do you want to search for the file?” Click the green thumb to find the file that you downloaded in step 1.
- Your custom firmware will be built, which should take a little while.
- Once your custom ipsw firmware has been built, WinPwn 2.5 will ask you if you want to see instructions on putting your iPhone into DFU Mode. Click the green thumbs up button for yes or the red thumbs down button for no. For this tutorial, we will assume you want to see instructions.
- WinPwn will then prompt you to connect your iPhone via USB and make sure it’s turned off. Do this then click the green thumbs up button. WinPwn will then say its ready to start Pwnage. Click the green OK button.
- Follow the steps to get your iPhone into DFU mode.
- Once you iPhone is in DFU mode WinPwn will begin the pwnage process. You will be informed when pwnage is complete. Notice that your iPhone will display a “Ready to restore Custom IPSW” message.
- iTunes will now prompt you that you are in recovery mode. Hold down SHIFT and click the Restore button in iTunes. Select the Custom firmware file we created using WinPwn.
- Your iPhone will now be restored to the jailbroken 2.0.x firmware of your choice!