What is unlocking?
Unlocking is the removal of SIM restrictions on the modem, allowing the use of the iPhone on any carrier. The main reason to unlock your iPhone is if you want to use it with a different service provider (ie. switch from AT&T to T-Mobile). Here are 2 articles you may want to look at:
There are two ways to unlock an iPhone. You can either do a software unlock, which usually requires some kind of hacking, or you can do a factory unlock.
Official Factory Unlock for iPhone
The difference between a locked iPhone and an officially unlocked one relies on the addition of the device’s IMEI number to a database of officially unlocked iPhones. The IMEI is like a fingerprint, completely unique to your device. When officially unlocked, your IMEI is officially recognized in Apple’s database as unlocked. There are now a few providers that have the ability to get iPhones permanently unlocked for a small fee.
To our knowledge, this is currently the best way to permanently unlock an iPhone, especially since there is no software unlocks available for the latest iOS versions.
The main benefits of a permanent IMEI unlock are:
- it’s simple, and official (registered as officially unlocked in Apple’s database)
- it works with any iPhone, even on-contract (iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus)
- it’s 100% guaranteed to unlock your iPhone
- it works even if you are still under contract
- the iPhone can’t be locked again, even if you update your device in iTunes
- it does not void your iPhone warranty
- no jailbreak or hacking required
How to get your iPhone unlocked?
There are dozens if not hundreds of services online that can perform a factory unlock on your iPhone. They usually vary in price and time, but there is one I have used in the past that I feel confident enough to recommend: Chronic Unlocks.
Created by famous iOS security researcher Will Strafach (aka Chronic), Chronic Unlocks isÂ an extremely reliable service to use to unlock your iPhone. Chronic Unlocks will work withÂ dozens of carriers, including AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, and many international carriers as well.
Head over to ChronicUnlocks.com for more details.
This page is a reference guide for anyone looking to unlock the iPhone using software. Simply look for your firmware version and your iPhone model, then click on the appropriate tutorial. Note that at this time, software unlocks only work with older iPhone models that haven’t been updated to the latest software. If you’re looking for a reliable, permanent unlock, we can only recommend you do a factory unlock of your device (see details above).
Software unlocks used to be available for older iPhones all the way to iPhone 4. Devices that have been released after the iPhone 4 cannot benefit from a software unlock.
Unlock iPhone 6.1
Unlock iPhone 5.0.1
Unlock iPhone iOS 5
Unlock iPhone iOS 4.3.3
Unlock iPhone iOS 4.3.2
Unlock iPhone iOS 4.3.1
Unlock iPhone iOS 4.2.1
Unlock iPhone iOS 4.1
Unlock iPhone iOS 4.0.2
- no unlock for iPhone 4 4.0.2 yet
- no unlock for iPhone 3GS 4.0.2 yet
- unlock iPhone 3G 4.0.2 with UltraSn0w
Unlock iPhone iOS 4.0.1
Unlock iPhone iOS 4
Unlock iPhone 3.1.3
- Unlock iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 with UltraSn0w
- Unlock iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 baseband 05.11.07 with BlackSn0w
- Unlock iPhone 3G 3.1.3 with UltraSn0w
- Unlock iPhone 3G 3.1.3 baseband 05.11.07 with BlackSn0w
- Unlock iPhone 2G 3.1.3 with RedSn0w
Unlock iPhone 3.1.2
- How to unlock iPhone 3GS 3.1.2
- Unlock iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 with BlackSn0w tutorial
- How to unlock iPhone 3G 3.1.2
- Unlock iPhone 3G 3.1.2 with BlackSn0w tutorial
- Unlock iPhone 2G 3.1.2 with PwnageTool
Unlock iPhone 3.1
- iPhone 3GS 3.1 unlock with UltraSn0w
- iPhone 3G 3.1 unlock with UltraSn0w
- iPhone 2G 3.1 unlock with PwnageTool for Mac OS X
Unlocking iPhone 3.0.1
- Unlock iPhone 3GS 3.0.1 with UltraSn0w
- Unlock iPhone 3G 3.0.1 with UltraSn0w
- RedSn0w iPhone 2G 3.0.1 unlocking tutorial for Windows and Mac
Unlocking iPhone 3.0
- Unlock iPhone 3GS 3.0 using UltraSn0w (recommended)
- PurpleSn0w unlock for iPhone 3GS 3.0
- Unlock your iPhone 3GS 3.0 using PurpleRa1n and UltraSn0w
- Unlocking the iPhone 3G 3.0 with UltraSn0w
- PwnageTool unlock tutorial for iPhone 2G 3.0 on Mac
- RedSn0w unlocking tutorial for iPhone 2G 3.0 on Windows and Mac