This RedSn0w guide & tutorial will show you how to unlock your iPhone 2G using RedSn0w. This guide is to unlock the iPhone 2G only. If you want to unlock the iPhone 3G, you will have to jailbreak your iPhone first using this guide, then run UltraSn0w, the unlocking tool for iPhone 3G.
This tutorial was originally written for jailbreaking firmware 3.0 but it also works with firmware 3.0.1. I just updated this guide with the latest information.
Note that this RedSn0w tutorial is for Windows users but I assume the steps are similar on a Mac.
1. Before doing anything, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and the latest firmware 3.0 3.0.1 installed on your iPhone 2G.
2. Create a new folder on your desktop. In this folder, download RedSn0w as well as the 3.0 firmware (not 3.0.1) for your iPhone 2G from our iPhone downloads page (make sure you pick the right firmware). Also download the following bootloader files: BL 3.9 and BL 4.6
3. Unzip and launch RedSn0w.
4. Click “browse” and select the 3.0 (not 3.0.1) firmware you downloaded in a folder in step 2.
5. Once the firmware has been successfully identified, click “next”.
6. Select “install Cydia” and “unlock”, then click “next”.
7. Browse for the bootloader files you downloaded in step 2, and click “next”.
8. Make sure your iPhone is plugged into the computer and that it is off. Click “next”.
9. RedSn0w will then guide you to put your iPhone into DFU mode. Hold down the power button for 2 seconds. Without releasing the power button, also hold down the home button for 10 seconds. Without releasing the home button, release the power button but keep holding the home button for 30 seconds.
10. If done correctly, your iPhone should reboot and the jailbreak process should start. This step may take up to 15-20 minutes so be patient.
11. Once this process is over, you will get a message saying that it is “done!”
12. Click the “finish” button and reboot your iPhone. The reboot may take up to 10 minutes so again, be patient.
13. Congratulations, you just jailbroke and unlocked your iPhone 3.0 3.0.1 with RedSn0w.