Ukrainian developer Readdle has released a Mac edition of its popular PDF management app for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, PDF Expert.
Available for $19.99 in the Mac App Store, this powerful app will empower your PDF workflow on the Mac and increase your productivity.
It includes such features as smooth scrolling and fast search, robust editing and annotation tools and more.
File exchange with other apps is much simplified through the Mac’s multi-purpose Share sheet and the app supports Continuity and Handoff to allow seamless switching between PDF Expert on your iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Mac, and much more.
Fast reading experience
Unlike Apple’s stock Preview app and some other third-party PDF solutions, Readdle claims that its PDF Expert addresses two major customer pain points: speed and working with multiple files.
In terms of working with multiple open documents, PDF Expert solves this elegantly by giving each new PDF its separate tab. And like Safari, PDF Expert lets you rearrange tabs by dragging.
“PDF Expert is several times faster than any other app available on a Mac,” developers claim. In my brief hands-on time with the app, PDFs with hundreds of pages did open instantly on my 2013 MacBook Air, which is sweet.
Check out the promotional video below.
Other features worth mentioning include a set of robust tools (like highlighters, pens, shapes and stamps) to easily annotate your documents with graphic or text.
With PDF Expert, you can also sign contracts, change text features such as color, font or shape, fill forms with a click and tick of embedded boxes and checklists.
The app lets you write your signature using your MacBook’s trackpad. Or, you can type your own name and it’ll transform it into handwriting.
You can even use signatures already created in PDF Expert for iOS and store multiple signatures within the app. PDF Expert recognizes signature fields in PDF forms and can fill them in with a click.
Individual pages in a PDF file can be rearranged, rotated and deleted and multiple PDF files can be merged into one. The app is iCloud-enabled so your signatures, stamps and settings are seamlessly synced between OS X and iOS, with any files stored in the iOS edition of PDF Expert instantly available on your Mac, and vice versa.
“PDF Expert properly handles changes made on different devices, and it even has a mechanism to resolve possible conflicts,” notes Readdle.
Here are some key features of PDF Expert for Mac:
- Instant PDFs—From the first document you select, PDF Expert springs into action with smooth scrolling and fast search. PDFs open instantly, whether they are just small attachments or 2000-page reports.
- Robust Tools—When it’s time to edit, all the great tools you need are easy to find and just a click away. PDF Expert’s quick annotations, easy form filling, and powerful file merging will chew through your work in record time.
- Easy Exchange—You don’t work in a bubble, and neither does PDF Expert. When it’s time to send documents to clients, coworkers, and everyone in between, PDF Expert has top-notch support for your Mac’s system-wide share sheet and other apps. If an app accepts PDFs, PDF Expert can get it there.
- Beautiful Work—Experience matters. PDF Expert’s great design and attention to details will help you work faster, whether you’re editing documents or using the award-winning PDF viewing tools.
- PDF Everywhere—Work across Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Use Apple’s Continuity and Handoff features to seamlessly switch devices in the middle of a document. PDF Expert is there with you.
PDF Expert requires an Intel-based Mac with OS X 10.10 Mavericks or later.
The app launched with an introductory price of $19.99. “However, as we will unlock more power in future updates, that price will gradually rise to $59.99,” cautioned Readdle.
By the way, PDF Expert for iOS has gone free as Apple’s Free App of the Week.