It all started with a text message exchange with a friend who was asking how he could save storage space on his iPhone on the fly so he would have room to take more photos and videos. Deleting photos and videos from the device would usually be my first answer, but it wasn’t an option here since he wanted to keep his photos/videos, and actually add more.
The second option I gave him was to delete music from his iOS 7 device. How do you delete songs directly from the iPhone, he asked? A quick explanation followed by more questions made me realize that if my friend needed directions on how to delete music tracks from his iPhone, then he probably isn’t the only one.
In this post, I will show you several options to delete songs from iPhone and iPad to save up storage space.
How to delete songs from iPhone or iPad
The process to remove individual music tracks from your iPhone is pretty simple. Note that all the steps described below are exactly the same on iPad.
1) Go to the Music app.
2) Use the Artists, Albums, or Songs tab to navigate to songs you want to delete. In this example, I am navigating to a full album inside the Albums tab.
3) Swipe from right to left to show the Delete button.
4) Tap Delete.
5) Repeat the process as many times as you want.
How to delete music albums from your iPhone or iPad
If you want to delete several songs at a time, your best chance is to delete albums, or artists altogether.
1) Go to the Music app.
2) Navigate to the Albums or Artists tab, and look for the album/artist you want to delete.
3) If you are in the Albums tab, swipe from right to left on the album you want to delete. If you are in the Artists tab, swipe from right to left on the artist you want to delete. Deleting an artist will remove all of this artist’s song from your Music app. This is without a doubt the fastest way to remove large amounts of music.
4) Tap Delete to confirm. All the songs from this specific album or artist will be removed from your iPhone or iPad.
5) You can repeat the process as many times as necessary.
How to delete all music from your iPhone or iPad
If you want to go thermonuclear on your music, you can delete all of it in one simple swipe.
1) Go to Settings > General > Usage > Music (note that data stored on your iPhone might take a few seconds to load, so be patient).
2) Swipe from right to left on All Music.
3) Tap Delete to delete all of it.
Music stored in iCloud can’t be deleted from your iPhone
This should go without saying, but it might not be very obvious to people that aren’t well versed in the Apple ecosystem. If you are an iTunes Match subscriber and your music is stored in iCloud, then you will see cloud icons next to each song. It doesn’t mean this music is on your device. It just means this music is available for download (for free) from iCloud. To download it, simply tap the cloud icon. Once downloaded to your device, you will be able to delete it if you choose to, following the steps described above.
If you want to hide the music that is not on your device but available from iCloud, you can go to Settings > Music > Show All Music > Off. This will ensure that only music that has been downloaded to this device will be shown.