During its press conference Monday morning, Samsung shared the findings of Note 7 investigations conducted by itself and three independent industry firms. In the aftermath of Note 7 fires, Samsung’s won’t be unveiling its next-generation iPhone rival at the Mobile World Congress in February as previously thought, Samsung told Reuters.
Samsung on Monday held a press conference to share results of its investigation into Note 7 fires that forced the South Korean firm to temporarily recall and eventually permanently discontinue its supposed iPhone killer.
For starters, the original battery made by Samsung SDI was irregularly sized and had a flaw in the upper right corner that could cause a short circuit.
A third-party battery made by Amperex Technology was used in replacement Note 7 units, but it suffered from a manufacturing issue that could cause the battery to catch fire because of a welding defect. The company announced new and enhanced quality assurance measures to improve product safety.
Apple’s next iPhone is expected to adopt a 5.8-inch wraparound AMOLED display that utilizes a fixed flex screen like Samsung’s ill-fated Galaxy Note 7.
That’s according to a note Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri issued to investors on Wednesday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider. Arcuri refers to the so-called tenth anniversary iPhone as “iPhone X”.
The analyst claims the 4.7-inch iPhone 7s and 5.5-inch iPhone 7s Plus models may switch from LCDs to AMOLEDs, too, if Samsung Display is able to supply enough panels to Apple.
Official investigation conducted by Samsung Electronics has determined that a faulty battery was the main reason for Note 7 fires, a fiasco which led to a worldwide recall of the handset before the device was fully discontinued, Reuters reported Monday. A person familiar with the matter told the news gathering organization that Samsung should officially announce the results of the investigation next Monday, January 23, a day before the company is scheduled to reveal its fourth-quarter earnings.
Not even the exploding batteries have stopped die-hard fans of Samsung’s ill-fated Note 7 from using the remaining phablets that are still in the wild. However, Samsung wants all Note 7 devices to be safely returned and is working on a software update that will render the remaining Notes in the United States useless, according to Samsung’s official blog post and a statement given to The Verge.
Samsung took a full-page ad in three major U.S. newspapers to apologize to its customers for the Note 7 recall. The Korean Herald newspaper is reporting that the company’s letter to customers was signed by Gregory Lee, who is president and CEO of Samsung Electronics North America.
The ad appeared in Monday editions of The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and The Washington Post.
“An important tenet of our mission is to offer best-in-class safety and quality. Recently, we fell short on this promise. For this we are truly sorry,” reads the ad.
I wish I thought about this: someone’s actually made a case with a decal designed to make your iPhone look like an exploded Galaxy Note 7 from Samsung. Aptly named Explo-Sung iPhone Skin, it’s available for all iPhones from the iPhone 5 onward. The $24.95 case is made by a company called UniqFind which happens to sell a range of skins for Mac notebooks and iOS devices on Amazon.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and The Department of Transportation (DoT) have banned Samsung’s recalled Note 7 smartphones from all domestic airline flights in the United States beginning Saturday, officials announced in an emergency order.
A few days ago, Samsung permanently stopped production of the troubled smartphone following incidents in which replacement devices it deemed safe exhibited the same fire-prone defect, even when powered down.
After temporarily halting production of its troubled Galaxy Note 7 smartphone earlier this week, Samsung confirmed in today’s statement to TechCrunch that it’s permanently discontinued the production of its flagship Galaxy smartphone over multiple incidents of exploding batteries.
This past weekend, major U.S. carriers AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint stopped offering new units as replacements for those affected by Samsung’s global recall. U.S. carriers are now offering Note 7 customers replacement devices from other brands, including Apple’s latest iPhone.
Samsung has temporarily halted production of its troubled Galaxy Note 7, reports Korean news agency Yonhap. The move follows decisions made on Sunday by multiple carriers, including AT&T and T-Mobile, to stop offering new units as replacements for those affected by the recall.
An anonymous source tells the outlet that the suspension in production is in cooperation with consumer safety regulators from South Korea, and various other countries, and that the measure includes a manufacturing plant in Vietnam that is responsible for global Note 7 shipments.
Jordan Golson, reporting for The Verge, is writing that the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission is opening an investigation into yesterday’s incident when Southwest Airlines flight 994 from Louisville to Baltimore was evacuated while still at the gate because of a smoking Note 7.
A spokesperson for the airline told The Verge that all passengers and crew exited the plane through the main cabin door and no injuries were reported.