watchOS 4.2 is available for all Apple Watch models.
To update your device to watchOS 4.2, go to My Watch → General → Software Update in the companion Watch app on your paired iPhone. To install watchOS 4.2, your watch must be placed on its charging disk, have at least 50 percent battery and be in range of your iPhone.
Here’s what’s included in the update.
watchOS 4.2 release notes
watchOS 4.2 contains new features, improvements and bug fixes:
- Send, request and receive money from friends and family with Apple Pay Cash in Messages or by asking Siri (US only)
- Adds support for HomeKit sprinklers and faucets in Home
- Adds support for a new workout type for third-party apps to track distance, average speed, number of runs and elevation descended for downhill snow sports with Apple Watch Series 3
- Resolves an issue where Apple Watch would sometimes restart when asking Siri about the weather
- Fixes an issue where scrolling was disabled in Heart Rate for some users
- Resolves an issue that prevented simultaneous timers or alarms from being dismissed independently
Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. For more information, visit Apple’s official watchOS Feature Availability webpage.
For information on the security content of watchOS 4.2 read Apple’s support document.