In addition to announcing Fallout 4 for the Xbox, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC coming this November, publisher Bethesda Softworks today released Fallout Shelter for the iPhone and iPad, officially the first iOS game set in the Fallout universe and the very first Bethesda title on Apple’s mobile platform.
The game puts you in control of a state-of-the-art underground Vault from Vault-Tec. Fallout Shelters challenges players to build their own fallout shelter and keep its dwellers happy and safe from the dangers of the Wasteland.
Fallout Shelter is “something we’ve wanted to do for many years,” Bethesda said.
As Overseer, you get to build shelters by choosing a variety of modern-day rooms to turn an excavation beneath 2,000 feet of bedrock “into the very picture of Vault Life.”
As evidenced by the screenshots, the game features rich cartoonish graphics.
“Get to know your Dwellers and lead them to happiness,” reads the blurb. To accomplish this, you’ll need to assign your dwellers jobs to keep them happy and watch them flourish.
In a Sim City like fashion, dwellers can be customized with different outfits and you can give them weapons and train them to improve their abilities.
Fallout Shelter highlights
- Build the perfect vault—Create a brighter future…underground! Select from a variety of modern-day rooms to turn an excavation beneath 2,000 feet of bedrock into the very picture of Vault Life.
- Oversee a thriving community—Get to know your Dwellers and lead them to happiness. Find their ideal jobs and watch them flourish. Provide them with outfits, weapons, and training to improve their abilities.
- Prosper—A well-run Vault requires a variety of Dwellers with a mix of skills. Build a Radio Room to attract new Dwellers. Or, take an active role in their personal lives; play matchmaker and watch the sparks fly!
- Explore the wasteland—Send Dwellers above ground to explore the blasted surface left behind and seek adventure, handy survival loot, or unspeakable death. Find new armor and weapons, gain experience, and earn Caps. But don’t let them die!
- Protect your vault—From time to time, idyllic Vault life may be disrupted by the dangers of post-nuclear life. Prepare your Dwellers to protect against threats from the outside…and within.
As for the latest installment in the Fallout series, Bethesda has revealed at E3 that Fallout 4 will be hitting Sony and Microsoft consoles and Windows PCs this November.
Here’s the official in-game trailer for Fallout 4.
And here’s everything Bethesda announced at E3.
The 200-megabyte download is compatible with any iPhone from the iPhone 5 onward, and the iPad mini 2 or later. It’s been specifically optimized for the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2.
iOS 7 is required.
The freemium game offers optional In-App Purchases providing additional resources.