The latest BBM for iPhone update is now available for iOS users in the App Store, featuring support for Touch ID-based fingerprint verification, a custom PIN feature, the ability to remove in-app advertising through an In-App Purchase and more.
The free messaging software can now at last be locked with a passcode and Touch ID to keep your messages hidden from prying eyes. You can set how long you would like BBM to remain unlocked before a password is required again.
BlackBerry says that the ability to create a customized BBM PIN that’s unique and easy to share has been one of the most requested BBM features.
However, customizing your PIN has been inexplicably made available only to paying subscribers or those who unlock the feature via a one-time Custom PIN $2 In-App Purchase.
Your Custom PIN will be a 6-8 digits alphanumeric code of your choice. Custom PINs are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you want to get rid of in-app advertising, now you can but doing so — you guessed right — entails singing up for BBM’s monthly subscription plan or unlocking this particular feature for 99 cents through the BBM Store.
This will remove all ads from your feed and you’ll no longer receive sponsored invites from BlackBerry’s partners.
Speaking of the all-new BBM Shop, there are two subscriptions available at the moment – the aforementioned “No Ads” and “Custom PIN” tiers — with more to come in the coming weeks and months.
As a bonus, BBM users with any active subscription get a badge on their avatar to show off their premium status. Here’s BBM in newly added landscape mode on an iPhone 6 Plus.
Other enhancements in this release include the ability to post your photos directly to group chats to share with others, D’s and R’s for all file transfer types and visual improvements to chats making them more legible.
When group-sharing photos, chat participants will know immediately when a photo has been shared with the group and can view it without leaving the chat.
Lastly, you can swipe to delete a chat from the chat list and use Edit in chats for quick chat deletion.
“We’ve made tweaks and squished bugs, resulting in the fastest and smoothest BBM experience yet,” said developers.
BBM 126.96.36.199 highlights:
- Customize your PIN (requires monthly subscription)
- Remove Ads (requires monthly subscription)
- Even more security: lock BBM with a passcode and Touch ID (if available)
- Landscape Support
- Delete chats by swiping
- Enhanced chats, making them easier to read
- D’s and R’s for all file transfer types
- Share photos directly in group chats
For our readers interested in other platforms, BBM has gained support for Android Wear, allowing people to use the messaging software on a variety of Android Wear-powered smartwatches.
The following Android Wear features are supported by BBM:
- Receive alerts on the watch when new BBM messages come in, see the sender and discreetly preview messages.
- Read BBM messages in their entirety, navigate among messages and dismiss notifications with a simple swipe.
- Respond to messages hands-free with Google Now or choose from pre-defined messages to quickly send a response.
- Accept BBM invites from the watch without the need to access their smartphone.
The 62.8-megabyte app supports any iPhone capable of running iOS 7.0 or later.