Like in years past, Apple ahead of the holidays published its list of the best and most popular apps, movies, TV shows, music and books available on iTunes. In the category of the top paid iPhone app, Heads Up! came in first. Facebook’s Messenger is Apple’s top free iPhone app and Clash of Clans emerged as the top grossing iPhone app, respectively. On the iPad side, Minecraft, YouTube and Clash of Clans have been rated as the App Store’s top paid, free and grossing apps, respectively.
Without further ado, here’s the rest of Apple’s most popular apps and media in 2014.
These charts vary by country so the lists below highlight Apple’s favorite apps, games and media on the U.S. iTunes Store:
- iPhone App of the Year: Elevate Brain Training [Free]
- iPhone Game of the Year: Threes [$3]
- iPad App of the Year: Pixelmator [$10]
- iPad Game of the Year: Monument Valley [$4]
- Mac App of the Year: Notability [$5]
- Mac Game of the Year: Tomb Raider [$40]
- Best Artist: Beyoncé
- Best Album: “1989” by Taylor Swift
- Best Song: “Fancy” (feat. Charli XCX) by Iggy Azalea
- Best New Artist: Sam Smith
- Best Blockbuster: “Guardians of the Galaxy”
- Best Family Movie: “The LEGO Movie”
- Best Director: Richard Linklater
- Best Discovery: “Obvious Child”
- TV Show of the Year: “Fargo”
- Best Performances: “True Detective”, Season 1
- Best Discovery: “The Honorable Woman”
- Best Breakthrough: “Key & Peele”, Volume 4
- Best Fiction: “All the Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr
- Best Nonfiction: “The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace” by Jeff Hobbs
Hyper lapse from Instagram and Leo’s Fortune are listed as runner-ups in the iPhone App and Game of the Year category, while the iPad App and Game of the Year runner-ups include Storehouse and Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, respectively. On the Mac side, the App and Game of the Year runner-ups are Affinity Designer and Transistor, respectively.
Apple’s been maintaining these annual charts for five years straight.
And which of the aforementioned apps do you own?
Those who don’t agree with some of Apple’s choices and would like to highlight their own favorite items are more than welcome to chime in with their submissions and thoughts in the comment section below.