Oddworld, the popular platform-based action adventure originally released on consoles back in 2005, has been ported to iOS and is now available in the App Store as Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath.
The game puts you in the shoes of a tall, dark and enigmatic figure, a drifter turned bounty hunter simply named Stranger. Your goal: capture outlaws and collect bounties, armed with your trusty double-barreled crossbow that fires insects and small animals.
The iOS port sports a highly detailed graphics engine capable of rendering towns, realistic water effects, lush forests, massive industrial facilities and vast outdoor panoramas in console-grade fidelity.
“Meet incredibly odd, funny and smack-talking townsfolk, enemies and natives and fight dozens of varied bosses with outlandish arsenals and outrageous names,” teases the blurb. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath has been optimized for mobile gameplay with fully configurable touch controls.
Based on an interesting mix of action and exploration, this acclaimed bounty-hunting game allows you to transition between first-person shooter and third-person platformer. This adds lots of variety while enabling a range of strategies to surprise, stun, lure, blast and bag those devious outlaws.
Check out the visuals below.
The eye-candy has been realized through the use of OpenGL, meaning there’s plenty of room for further enhancements should developers release an update with support for Apple’s new Metal graphics framework on iOS 8. The iOS port has been enhanced with cloud saves, support for ‘Made for iPhone’ gamepads, Game Center achievements and leaderboards and more.
Depending on your hardware, graphics may include advanced effects such as irradiance lighting, full-scene shadow mapping, self shadowing and real-time depth of field.
- Explore living towns, lush forests, and massive industrial facilities
- Seamlessly transition between first-person shooter and third-person platfomer
- Scour your surroundings for live ammo
- Work with a range of strategies to surprise, stun, lure, blast and bag devious outlaws
- Meet incredibly odd, funny and smack-talking townsfolk, enemies and natives
- Fight dozens of varied bosses with outlandish arsenals and outrageous names
- Native iOS gamepad support
- Intuitive touch controls + a redesigned mobile interface make playing & navigating a breeze
- Incredible visuals that harness all the advanced graphics capabilities of today’s mobile chipsets
- A hilarious script, theatrical soundtrack and compelling storyline with a shocking twist
- English, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Finish, Swedish, and Polish language support
- Leaderboards, Achievements and Cloud Save
Due to graphics-intensive gameplay, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath requires at least an iPhone 4s, iPad 2, iPad mini or the fifth-generation iPod touch.
The download comes in at 712 megabytes and is a premium release so there are no In-App Purchases to spoil the fun. Oddworld will be releasing on Android soon.
More information is available at the Oddworld website.