AgileBits, the maker of the popular password-keeping utility, 1Password, has issued a major new version of the app following Apple’s release of the iOS 8 software update earlier this morning.
1Password 5 for iOS 8 now takes full advantage of Touch ID fingerprint scanning to unlock your vault and comes with a brand new iOS 8 App Extension in Safari and other apps that also uses Touch ID.
The Safari extension is available right in the Share sheet and permits you to fill Logins directly into web pages. Taking advantage of AgileBits’ own proprietary extensions for integrating third-party apps with 1Password, supported apps can now log you in with just a tap. And as you update passwords in these apps, 1Password updates the corresponding item in its database.
As for the price, the new 1Password 5 is a free update to existing users and a freemium download for everyone else, with a one-time In-App Purchase to unlock features like folders, tags, custom fields, Multiple Vaults, as well as the full range of items including Bank Accounts, Email Accounts, Memberships, Passports, Reward Programs, Wireless Routers, Software Licenses and many more.
Again, anyone who has purchased 1Password 4 before iOS 8 gets the Pro version free with this update.
The app now takes advantage of Apple’s new CloudKit technology. Because CloudKit requires 1Password 5 on iOS 8 and 1Password 5 for OS X Yosemite which hasn’t released yet, upgrading to 1Password 5 on your iOS devices may cause issues with iCloud syncing on the Mac.
Check out key highlights:
- App Extensions – Use 1Password to log into a growing list of your favorite apps and even update your passwords—all with just a tap!
- Safari + 1Password – You read that right. Just like our in-app 1Browser, you can now fill 1Password Logins directly within Safari! Ooh, speaking of thumbs
- Unlock with Touch ID – After unlocking with your Master Password, get back into your vault in 1Password, Safari, and your favorite apps with just your thumb on devices with Touch ID. Check Settings > Security to learn how this works and pick your auto-lock time.
- Sync now goes to 11 – We rebuilt iCloud sync using Apple’s new CloudKit and it is awesome. Wi-Fi Sync will be automatic and sync attachments with the forthcoming 1Password 5 for Mac, and it’s just plain also awesomer.
- Adaptive UI – Whether you’re on an iPhone 4S, iPad Air, or a brand new iPhone 6 Plus, 1Password’s interface is dressed for the occasion.
- So much more – Resume editing items after unlocking 1Password. A brand new Welcome Aboard process makes it even easier to set sail with 1Password. Backup restoration has you covered. And all that is just page one.
Folks who sync with iCloud should read this before upgrading to 1Password 5.
This 1Password update is free to all existing 1Password 4 for iOS customers and includes all Pro features. As mentioned before, new users can now download the app free of charge, with an optional Pro upgrade via the In-App Purchase mechanism.
For those wondering, the free edition can create Logins, Identities, Credit Cards and Secure Notes, and use those items in Safari and other apps. It can also sync with 1Password for Mac, Windows and Android.
The 17.3-megabyte download requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 8.0 or later.