Google has added another new app to its massive library of iOS offerings today. Previously reserved for Android users, Field Trip is a location discovery app, built to help you find local points of interest.
The app is billed as a way to help you “discover thousands of interesting places and experiences” that fall under a number of categories including places and events, food and drinks, and more…
Here are the highlights from the App Store description:
- Discover thousands of interesting places/experiences that fall under the following categories: Architecture, Historic Places & Events, Lifestyle, Offers & Deals, Food Drinks & Fun, Movie Locations, Outdoor Art and Obscure Places of Interest around you.
- Choose from three different modes to set frequency of Field Trip notifications. See “Field Trip” worthy places around you on a map, by tapping on cards in map view to pull up enthralling points of interest around you.
- Go on a Field Trip while you drive. Field Trip can detect when you’re driving and automatically “talk” about interesting places and experience around you.
- Came across an amazing story or restaurant? Mark it as a favorite to easily come back to it at any point.
- Capture the memory of a special place, by sharing a wondrous discovery through email and social networks such as Google+, Twitter and Facebook.
- Wondering where the gem that you recently discovered is? Find your discovered field trip cards in the “recent’ section.
The app’s UI is a bit different than the 2D, clean design we’ve come to expect from Google’s iOS apps. But that’s not to say it looks bad. The graphics are still sharp, and the app itself still feels snappy.
As far as function goes, I was able to pull up several places of interest around me, including bars, restaurants and a downtown art gallery. But results will [obviously] vary greatly with your location.
It seems like there are already several apps that do this, so I’m not sure yet what makes Field Trip different. I’ll have to keep it around for a few days—maybe I’ll use it to find something fun to do this weekend.
At any rate, if you’d like to try it out, you can find Field Trip in the App Store, for free.