MuscleNerd just tweeted out a whole host of interesting info about the upcoming iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak.
Inside, he confirms that it’s very likely that we will see the untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 by the end of this week.
He also details some of the behind the scenes work that has taken place in order to make this a well supported jailbreak. iPod 3rd generation owners, and iPhone 3GS owners should take particular note…
Quick info sheet for 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether: musclenerd.com/quick511info.t…
— MuscleNerd (@MuscleNerd) May 21, 2012
* All info below is tentative and subject to last minute refinements
* @pod2g’s 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether is working out great. All devices are covered except for AppleTV3,1, which currently has no path for jailbreaking.
– the initial 5.1.1 plan used a kernel exploit from @westbaer which unfortunately precluded use in iPod3,1 and iPhone2,1
– @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
* The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
* Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI “cinject” binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
– timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
* For those wishing to donate, we’ve set up a new 5.1.1 paypal URL: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=4U6DQGJ2NRVUN
* Please don’t pirate AppStore apps (seriously, please do not).
This info fleshes out our earlier confirmation that we received from MuscleNerd regarding the future of RedSn0w, and the command line interface. Very similar to what we saw with the iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak, we will see multiple tools that provide the jailbreak in various fashions: i.e. cinject, RedSn0w, and Absinthe.
The iOS hacker also pleads with the community not to pirate AppStore apps, which is pretty much a no-brainer. Hopefully everyone will rethink their stance on piracy this go round.
By the way, what’s your favorite jailbreak tool? Absinthe, the CLI, or RedSn0w? If you could pick from either of those three on the first day that the jailbreak was available, which would you choose?
Update: pod2g has also created a blog post reiterating the comments from MuscleNerd.