Apple yesterday unleashed a barrage of OS updates with iOS 10.3, macOS Sierra 10.12.4, watchOS 3.2 and tvOS 10.2. We’ve already posted our “What’s New in iOS 10.3” hands-on and now our resident video editor Andrew O’Hara has done the same for the latest Sierra update.
Check out everything macOS Sierra 10.12.4 has to offer and let us know what you think in comments.
Everything new in macOS Sierra 10.12.4
In short, macOS Sierra 10.12.4 brings iOS 9’s Night Shift to your Mac and includes a few other enhancements, such as Dictation support for Shanghainese, an updated PDF API fixing rendering issues, a new iCloud Analytics feature and Siri sports improvements.
Other features available to enterprise customers include, among other enhancements, a new tethered-caching command which optimizes certain downloads for iOS devices tethered via USB, various security improvements and more.
Without further ado, here’s Andrew’s video hands-on.
The new Sierra update also fixes an issue that causes MacBooks connected to certain docking stations to display a blank screen instead of the macOS login window on the built-in display and another one that causes a newly changed user-account password to be rejected at the macOS login window, if FileVault is turned on.
macOS Sierra 10.12.4 changelog
Apple’s changelog for macOS Sierra 10.12.4 mentions the following improvements:
- Adds Night Shift for automatically shifting the colors in your display to the warmer end of the spectrum after dark
- Adds Siri support for cricket scores, schedules and player rosters from the Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
- Adds Dictation support for Shanghainese
- Improves right-to-left language support for the Touch Bar, toolbar and visual tab picker in Safari
- Resolves several PDF rendering and annotation issues in Preview
- Improves the visibility of the subject line when using Conversation View in Mail
- Fixes an issue that may prevent content from appearing in Mail messages
- Adds support for more digital camera RAW formats
Like every macOS update, 10.12.4 improves the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac and is recommended to all users. Crucially, it fixes a bunch of bugs and exploits listed in Apple’s support document.
What’s your favorite feature in macOS Sierra 10.12.4 so far?