Samsung apologizes to users for Note 7 debacle with full-page ads in major U.S. newspapers

By , Nov 8, 2016

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes

Samsung took a full-page ad in three major U.S. newspapers to apologize to its customers for the Note 7 recall. The Korean Herald newspaper is reporting that the company’s letter to customers was signed by Gregory Lee, who is president and CEO of Samsung Electronics North America.

The ad appeared in Monday editions of The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and The Washington Post.

“An important tenet of our mission is to offer best-in-class safety and quality. Recently, we fell short on this promise. For this we are truly sorry,” reads the ad.

Samsung still hasn’t gotten to the bottom of why precisely the Note 7 was exploding spontaneously, but says it’s continuing investigation into the debacle.

“We have already initiated investigations with independent third party experts to carefully revisit every aspect of the device, including the battery, hardware and software, manufacturing processes and the overall battery structure,” says the firm.

“We will move as quickly as possible, but will take the time needed to get the right answers,” reads the ad. The ad also acknowledges problems with 34 different models of Samsung’s top-load washing machines that have also forced Samsung to recall 2.8 million affected units in the U.S.

“Most importantly, safety remains our top priority,” the ad says. “We are grateful for your ongoing support and again, we are truly sorry.”

Samsung NOte 7 apology ad WSJ

Samsung also issued an online letter to its European customers apologizing for the Note 7 fiasco. Signed by Y H Eom, President and CEO of Samsung Electronics Europe, the letter states that Note 7 fires affected “a small number of affected customers” in Europe.

“Because we had not gone on general sale in Europe with the Note7, there were a small number of affected customers here,” reads the letter. “For those customers who received the device during the pre-order phase, we recognize that we have not lived up to your expectations, or our own high standards. For this we are truly sorry.”

Samsung reiterates in the letter that it has stopped production of the Note 7, ensuring customers that it’s working swiftly to ensure every Note 7 device is safely returned. “For those directly affected, we appreciate your patience throughout the replacement process,” reads the online letter to European customers.

As of last week, around 85 percent of all Note 7 devices have been returned, according to Samsung.

Source: The Korean Herald

  • Share:
  • Follow:
  • ProllyWild

    classy

  • Jerry

    Sorry? Are these people being compensated?

    • AMB_07

      Yes with refunds/replacements

    • 5723alex .

      No. Samsung doesn’t want to pay for damages like ; burned children, burned homes, burned cars…

    • Marcus

      I have a friend with a Note 7 and he isn’t being offered a refund.

      • Jerry

        How are people not suing? Is their something I’m missing?

      • Marcus

        I asked him the same thing… He doesn’t really have an answer. Absolutely absurd on Samsung’s part

      • Jerry

        People’s homes can potentially go up in flames and they can lose everything they owned and worked for and all samsung can say is “sorry”?

      • not to mention the ones who don’t even read the paper, they couldn’t come up with something better, nah i guess that as the cheapest option..

  • 5723alex .

    Samsung postponed Galaxy S8 for months.

    • Rowan09

      Yes they did because they can’t afford for anything to happen. If one S8 catches flames, that might be it for Samsung. Hey they wanted the top stop and this is what comes with it.

  • Y2J: Keeper of the List

    “We know we burned some of your houses down, and we’re sorry, it was an accident”

  • James G

    Today is totally the day to do this. Nothing else going on in America to distract customers from reading this impactful message. Nice job, Samsung.

  • Julio M.

    I wonder what the comments would be if this happened to Apple. Highly unlikely, but I wonder….

    • John

      I personally think apple have far better safety checks than Samsung do. They know that something like this would be a PR disaster and seriously damage their reputation. From what I’ve seen over the years, with prototypes being lost and leaked, it appears that apple test their future products in the wild for at least 6 months before manufacture. Something Samsung should probably start doing to ensure their products are safer.

      • Julio M.

        I agree, they do seem to be a little bit more careful when it comes to testing their products to ensure safety and functionality. My comment was more about all the bashing just because it’s not Apple, I think Samsung handled this well, they could’ve done better, but in the end their supplier screwed them.

  • leart

    they had for year campaigns blaming apple for selling non removable battery devices.. now they sold a explosive battery on a non removable device… all they can say is sorry.. lol

    • Mike

      They took the removable battery away but added wireless charging and fast charging along with it… S7 charges a lot faster than the iPhone7

      • leart

        but why? they claimed for years that not removable battery would make users “sheep” of a company?
        and wireless charging is like more electromagnetic waves around your home, if you like that.. but remember , charging battery faster is not better

  • John

    “Most importantly, safety remains our top priority”. Clearly not or they would of done a much better job testing before rushing it to market just to beat the iPhone 7. And what about about their washing machines that have been catching fire? Clearly they don’t care about safety. 2 products in 1 month. That’s a statistic of 24 products a year that are possibly unsafe for use.

    • tariq

      There’s no test they could of done to prevent this. Even today, after they seeing the problem, they can’t find what caused it. So prior to this there was definitely 0% chance of coming across this issue.

      • John

        Your telling me that if they hadn’t put a few extra months of testing they wouldn’t of found the issue? They have devices that pick up irregular heat patterns with lithium batteries and other patterns of instability when testing prototypes because lithium batteries are so unstable so if they had done proper testing they almost certainly would of found the issue. And we all know it’s the battery that is the cause. Look at the photos that show exploded Samsungs notes 7’s. Always on the left where the bettery is. It’s typical Samsung trying to cover up. And it’s funny how the washing machine is now also exploding. Obvious signs that they are not doing the testing that they should be doing.

      • tariq

        Like i said. Even with a focused team that’s trying to figure out what’s wrong with battery haven’t found the problem yet. No “test” could of prevented this.
        The washing machine is an issue and they deserve the loss on that side.

  • Donovan