Adobe launched new services at its annual Adobe MAX creativity conference today while updating the Creative Cloud lineup and releasing a pair of brand new mobile apps: Photoshop Fix and Capture CC.
Built on the Photoshop technology, Photoshop Fix, a free download from the App Store, brings desktop tools like Liguify and Healing Brush to image editing on the go.
Capture CC, another new app available at no charge, includes functionality provided by several mobile apps like Adobe Brush, Adobe Color, Adobe Hue and Adobe Shape.
First demoed at Apple’s September 2015 ‘Hey Siri’ media event, Photoshop Fix lets you do serious image retouching and restoration on your iPad or iPhone.
The app uses Photoshop technology and brings powerful desktop tools such as
Heal, Smooth, Liquify and more to the mobile world. Signed in users can access edited photos directly within other Adobe mobile and desktop apps, powered by Adobe’s CreativeSync solution.
The app can open and edit layered Photoshop files and syncs your edits via the cloud with Photoshop CC for further refinement, Lightroom and other connected apps.
“And all your edits are synced across all your computers and devices,” Adobe boasts. “Make a change on you iPad, it’ll show up on your desktop.”
Photoshop Fix is iOS-only at launch, with an Android version planned in the future. It shouldn’t be confused with Photoshop Mix, another iOS app from Adobe.
- Retouch and restore photos using tools that give you the exact look, structure and feel you want:
- Liquify—Push, pull, rotate, swell or reshape any area to create subtle or drastic effects.
- Heal and patch—Fix imperfections using content from surrounding areas and then blend the result.
- Smooth—Simply paint to smooth or sharpen skin, landscapes or other content.
Lighten and darken—Add or remove light from specific parts of a photo.
- Edit and adjust photos using a variety of essential tools:
- Color—Desaturate to remove all color or to create a mix of color and black-and-white.
- Paint—Get precise effects with an eyedropper that lets you sample colors, an adjustable brush and an eraser
- Adjust—Add vignettes and control exposure, contrast and saturation
- Defocus—Blur part of a photo to draw attention to your key subject.
- Send your images directly to Photoshop CC on the desktop so you can refine them and take them further. Fix converts all your edits to layers and packages your image as a PSD file.
An Internet connection and a free Adobe ID account is required to use Photoshop Fix. You can sign up for an Adobe ID within the app for free.
Like before, Adobe is luring photography fans with its Creative Cloud Photography plan, which gives you unlimited access to Lightroom and Photoshop for a monthly fee,
Adobe Capture CC
As illustrated top of post and below, Capture CC combines the features previously found in Adobe Brush, Adobe Color, Adobe Hue and Adobe Shape into a brand new app.
- Colors—Extract color themes from photos and the world around you. Play with presets based on color theory — or use a color wheel and RGB sliders for manual changes. Use with: After Effects CC, Comp CC, Illustrator CC, Illustrator Draw, InDesign CC, Photoshop CC, Photoshop Sketch and Premiere Pro CC
- Shapes—Instantly convert what you see, or have drawn, into vector graphics. Use the slider to adjust the contrast and create fills. Later, toggle add/remove options to include the right details. Use with: After Effects CC, Comp CC, Illustrator CC, Illustrator Draw, InDesign CC, Photoshop CC, Photoshop Sketch and Premiere Pro CC
- Brushes—Turn inspiring photos or graphics into high-quality ribbon-, scatter- or vector-type brushes. Refine them with color, size and repetition adjustments. Use with: Illustrator CC, Photoshop CC, Photoshop Sketch
- Looks—Pull color and light from your favorite moments to make video-enhancing filters. A 3D histogram and intensity slider let you visualize and fine-tune your Looks.
The company has confirmed that the apps that Capture CC replaces (Brush, Color, Hue and Shape) will no longer receive updates now that they’re part of Capture CC.
Existing Adobe apps received feature updates today, too, including Photoshop Lightroom for iPhone and iPad, Adobe Premiere Clip and Adobe Photoshop Mix.
On the services side, Adobe Creative Cloud for desktop has gained touch-optimized interface on Windows 10 devices and a new free of charge Portfolio service (powered by Bechance) with personalized URLs and password-protect webpages.
Last but certainly not least, Adobe’s Creative Cloud desktop apps now support 8K video editing, and the following features:
- For Design, Adobe introduces new and updated Touch workspaces to InDesign CC and Illustrator CC, powering mobile creativity for layout artists and graphic designers. New Illustrator CC features include the Shaper tool, Live Shapes and enhanced Smart Guides. InDesign CC delivers new online publishing capabilities and Adobe Fuse CC (Preview) 3D character software is added to existing Creative Cloud membership plans. These 3D models can be synced across Creative Cloud Libraries for use in Photoshop CC. Fuse CC recently joined the Adobe product family through the company’s acquisition of 3D innovator, Mixamo.
- For Web and UX Design, free-form responsive design comes to Muse CC, to easily create websites that dynamically scale to any size screen, browser or device, without having to code or use restrictive templates. For developers, Dreamweaver CC also adds responsive design capabilities powered by the popular Bootstrap framework. In Photoshop CC new Artboards capabilities precisely place elements and layers for easier visualization and the first version of Design Space, a streamlined design-centric experience, is made available to all customers. UX designers can also look forward to Project Comet, the only end-to-end UX design solution that includes a new CC desktop app with a companion mobile app. Currently under development Project Comet was demoed publicly today for the first time during the MAX opening keynote.
- For Video, Adobe ushers in a new era of UltraHD via comprehensive native format support for editing beautiful 4K-to- 8k footage; and advances color, with support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) workflows in Premiere Pro CC and improved color fidelity and adjustments in After Effects CC. Remix, a powerful new audio feature is added to Audition CC. New Touch capabilities are introduced, with Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC and Character Animator optimized for Surface Pro, Windows tablets or Apple track pad devices.
Adobe’s CreativeSync platform has been updated with syncing of assets and creative tools between the following applications:
- Lightroom mobile <—> Photoshop Fix
- Lightroom mobile > Premiere Clip
- Photoshop Mix > Photoshop Fix > Photoshop Mix
- Comp CC > Photoshop Mix
- Capture > Comp / Sketch / Draw / Clip
Photoshop Fix and Capture CC require an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 8.1 or later. Both apps are localized in English, French, German and Japanese.
Creative Cloud subscription plans are available here.