Audible, an audiobooks service owned by Amazon, pushed a major update to its iPhone and iPad application this morning which added CarPlay functionality along with a couple nice-to-have improvements in the app’s iOS edition.
After downloading today’s update, the Audible app will automatically appear on the dashboard of CarPlay-enabled vehicles and those supporting CarPlay via aftermarket solutions from Pioneer, Alpine and other companies.
Other changes in this release of Audible include a revamped Discover on both the iPhone and iPad, now grid-based, in addition to a new tab bar on the iPhone that provides access to settings and other features, the corrected icons on Audible’s buttons found on the Lock screen and in Control Center, a Reset Timer option and more.
Audible 2.5 changelog:
- CarPlay is now available for Audible.
- Lock Screen/Control Center – Previously, the Lock Screen/Control Center buttons were always chapter forward/back, even if your settings were for 30-second forward/back. Now, your lock screen/Control Center will feature the correct icons.
- Sleep Timer – There is now a “Reset Timer” option after the sleep timer ends, reducing the number of taps from 4 to 2.
- Sleep Timer – The fade-out returns.
- Discover – On iPhone, we’ve updated the visual design by removing the dark overlay and going to a grid.
- Discover – On iPad, we’ve replaced “Discover” with a true browse experience (it used to just be search). It should now mirror the iPhone version.
- When you sample a book from a book detail page in “Discover” or search, it now plays in the player. This allows you to leave the detail page and still listen to the sample.
- New Tab Bar – We moved Settings into the main navigation and created an overflow menu (on iPhone) for the items that no longer fit on the main tab.
The 72-megabyte universal app requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 7.0 or later. The Apple Watch is not support in this release.