GPS navigation giant Garmin has released a new consumer navigation app in the App Store which seeks to offer a reasonable tradeoff between basic features and more advanced stuff found in significantly more expensive navigation software for the iPhone.
Featuring the latest maps from the Nokia’s Here service (formerly Navteq) licensed worldwide and costing 99 cents ($1.99 after July 13), Viago allows you to search addresses and points of interests anywhere in the world, with turn-by-turn navigation available within your region.
Advanced features such as landmark-based directions and active lane guidance that simplifies junction navigation are paid upgrades just a tap away.
Jump past the fold for the full reveal…
The app shows you your current street, speed and speed limit information. You’ll also love a handy lane assist feature with photoReal junction views for a realistic look at interchanges ahead (where data is available).
Other capabilities are available optionally via In-App Purchase upgrades.
The app comes with support for online navigation, with paid Maps to Go offline navigation available in Europe, North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, Middle East and Russia, costing $9.99 each.
The following features are available as paid upgrades:
- Downloadable Maps to Go allow you to navigate without a data connection and avoid roaming fees
- Choose full or regional coverage maps
- Traffic Live provides real-time traffic information with automatic rerouting
- Directions with spoken street names and 3-D building representations help you with your orientation
- Garmin Real Directions guide using landmarks, significant buildings and traffic lights, such as, “Turn left after the clock tower”
- Mobile Alert Live provides alerts for mobile speed cameras as reported by fellow drivers (not permitted in all countries)
- Safety Kit helps you avoid trouble with speed and safety camera warnings (not permitted in all countries), active lane guidance and alternative routes
- Panorama View 3-D shows you the surrounding terrain, including mountains, hills and valleys
- Urban Guidance helps you navigate major cities on foot or by using public transportation
- Bonus Package: A Free option that lets you customize the look of your app with various map themes and vehicle icons
Th app requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad running iOS 7.0 or later.