Stainless Games unleashed Carmageddon on the App Store back in October 2012 and today it goes free as the App of the Day app. This classic carnage racing game has earned its notoriety way back in 1997, when the original PC release caused quite a commotion among the purists and censors due to its graphical violence.
The iOS version has been toned down a bit to placate Apple’s censors, though you can still run over pedestrians who stay out on the streets at their peril. And watch out for the cops in their super-tough armored patrol vehicles…
Again, the game is pretty violent and bloodthirsty.
Maybe I should let the trailer do the talking instead.
There are 11 environments, 28 opponents, 30 unlockable cars, a Career Mode, iCloud support and more, here’s more from iTunes:
- 28 dangerously deranged Opponents
- 11 wildly exhilarating Environments
- Career Mode featuring 36 satisfyingly violent Levels
- Race and Wreck opponents to unlock 30 playable cars!
- Universal App
- iCloud Support
- 27 Cunning Stuntworthy Achievements
- Game Center integration
- Multiple control methods: digital, analogue (mix ‘n’ match), tilt
- Edit your control layout in game to your preferences
- Comprehensive Action Replay System
- Movie editing; Save your movies straight from the game to YouTube; Share links using iOS 6
- Retina display and iPhone 5 support
- Environment maps and other special effects
- Enhanced pre-lit environments
- Buckets of gibs
- Tons of laughs
It would be a shame to pass on such a nice game so go ahead and download it now from the App Store before it goes back up again to its regular price of four bucks a pop.
It’s universal, works on any iOS 5.1+ device and comes in at 113MB.