Square Enix drew lots of heat for itself after it was discovered that its new premium iOS game, Deus Ex: The Fall, contains a restriction preventing weapon firing on jailbroken devices, making it impossible to progress past the tutorial without applying the xCon tweak from the ModMyI repo in Cydia.
Square was quick to apologize and attribute the risky decision to a bug, promising to remove the odd limitation in a future update. Making good on its promise, the company has just released an update to The Fall which does away with the anti-jailbreak measure…
Deus Ex version 1.0.3 has “removed the restriction on weapon firing which affected certain devices,” per iTunes release notes.
Other changes include the following items:
• Improved enemy AI reaction and combat behavior
• Increased XP rewards for completing objectives
• Increased the amount of credits gained as rewards, across the game
• Improved damage and accuracy stats for the Combat Rifle
• Increased accuracy of Shotguns for better mid-range effectiveness
• Reduced some weapon costs (including high-end Plasma Rifles and Rocket Launchers)
The 808MB update is available free to those who have purchased the $4.99 universal binary. The Fall supports iPad 3 or above, iPad mini, iPhone 4S or above or fifth-generation iPod touch.
Support for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 is coming in another update, Square promises.
Note that the game requires 1.6GB free space to install.
Who’s going to be playing The Fall now that it’s jailbreak-friendly?
Want to know about a great app? Try Duet Display, an awesome app that turns your iPhone or iPad into an extra display for your Mac or PC. Get it now in the App Store.