Firefighter’s iPhone 4 Spontaneously Catches Fire

By , Dec 19, 2011

Apple’s iPhone has arguably been one of the year’s hottest devices… literally. Last month we told you about the handset actually catching fire due to overheating on an airplane enroute to Sydney Australia, and it seems it’s happened again.

A fire department located in the town of East Brandywine, Pennsylvania published an interesting report to its incident blog earlier this month regarding an iPhone catching fire. The exploding handset belonged to one of the firefighters…

From the EBFC’s report:

“While charging the phone using the Apple provided computer connection, the phone spontaneously caught fire. After the phone fell to the floor igniting the carpet, the phone was thrown out of a nearby window. Despite the phone being relatively small it produced a large volume of smoke and a noxious smell.”

So what could have caused an iPhone to spontaneously catch fire? No one really knows. The report goes on to say that local Apple reps were baffled by the hot handset, and have decided to send it on to Cupertino so that engineers may inspect the device.

Hopefully the company figures something out and eventually makes a statement. It’s a little unsettling that an iPhone catching fire is becoming a more frequent occurrence.

[MacRumors]

  • Share:
  • Follow:
  • http://www.twitter.com/ANGOmarcello Angelo

    Hope that they find out what it is. I can’t imagine something more terrible then this. Considering that the phone is most of the time in my pocket.

    • http://twitter.com/therealjdizzle Jason Masters

      Yeah you wouldn’t want your pants catching fire then people would start calling you liar!

  • http://twitter.com/iFixNow iFixPhones.com

    Looks like we could be adding fire repairs to our list of services. Watch out! #iPhoneFire

  • http://twitter.com/melovestoast Jared Floyd

    Hopefully it doesn’t happen when someone’s asleep.

  • http://twitter.com/x_rus_x Vitaliy Anonymous

    Looks like Kindle Fire isn’t the only one.

  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredstrugala/ geetarspaz

    at least he’s a firefighter. *silence*

  • demure demeanor

    Did the firefighter keep the phone in their pocket while fighting fires? If so, then they took the phone into conditions above operation temps…

  • demure demeanor

    Did the firefighter keep the phone in their pocket while fighting fires? If so, then they took the phone into conditions above operation temps…

  • demure demeanor

    Did the firefighter keep the phone in their pocket while fighting fires? If so, then they took the phone into conditions above operation temps…

  • demure demeanor

    Did the firefighter keep the phone in their pocket while fighting fires? If so, then they took the phone into conditions above operation temps…

  • Kok Hean

    It’s okay, he IS a firefighter, right?
    *ba dum tss*

  • http://www.facebook.com/wenshan.michael 張文山

    The new function of IPHONE!!! Cool!

  • Anonymous

    Obviously the greatest likely cause is the power source which wasn’t the power supply but an unnamed computer?

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Tommy-James/100001794725350 Tommy James

    Spontaneous iPhone Combustion, lol!

  • Jon Garrett

    As many of you know, Im no longer a fan of apple but come on, these phones are NOT catching fire and exploding. I think people are doing this themselves.

    Maybe they’re overcharging them or jailbreaking them. I burned out a battery on my i4 when it rebooted and got stuck on the apple logo–but that’s because the phone was a tethered JB thus it was my own fault that this happened.