“Pachinko,” an international drama series based on the novel written by Min Jin Lee that’s coming to Apple TV+, has finalized the cast, with production kicking off at the end of October.
Deadline reports that Media Res bought the rights to Min Jin Lee’s novel “Pachinko” for Soo Hugh, who wrote and executive produced the series adaptation while also serving as showrunner. The New York Times named the novel as one of the 10 Best Books of 2017. The series adaption of “Pachinko” looks at the hopes and dreams of four generations of a Korean immigrant family and features journeys between Korea, Japan and America.
From the Deadline article:
Epic in scope, intimate in tone, the story begins with a forbidden love and crescendos into a sweeping saga that journeys between Korea, Japan and America to tell the unforgettable story of war and peace, love and loss, triumph and reckoning. The series will be told in three languages: Korean, Japanese and English.
“Pachinko” will feature:
- Min Ho Lee (“Boys Over Flowers”, “The Heirs”) will play Hansu, an enigmatic outsider and merchant with ties to organized crime who embarks on an illicit romance with far-reaching consequences.
- Jin Ha (“Devs”, “Love Life”) is Solomon, an ambitious, charming young man who will be forced to reckon with his family’s past.
- Anna Sawai (“Fast & Furious 9”, “Ninja Assassin”) portrays Naomi, a savvy career woman in the male-dominated world of high finance.
- Minha Kim (“Call”, “After Spring”) is set as Teenage Sunja, a heroic young woman on the cusp who forges her own path in a hardened country that is not her own.
- Soji Arai (“Cobra Kai”, “Legacies”) is Mosazu, a dedicated father and successful businessman, concerned for his son’s future.
- Kaho Minami (“Angel Dust”, “Household X”) plays Etsuko, a vibrant, independent woman who longs to be reunited with her estranged daughter.
Kogonada will direct four episodes, including the pilot. Chon will also direct four episodes.