The iPhone’s Lock Screen is a straightforward interface that acts as a gateway between the user and the Home Screen or last-used interface. While it does its job, many would likely agree that it could do with improvements — some major and some minor.
Enter Arise, a newly released jailbreak tweak by iOS developer EthanDoesMC that aims to make any jailbroken iPhone’s Lock Screen more lively with exiting and obvious features that will make you question Apple’s own innovation.
Right out of the box, Arise incorporates the following optional features for the Lock Screen on any jailbroken handset:
- Automatically show Notification Center when waking or unlocking your device
- Automatically present the Today widget page when waking or unlocking your device
- Automatically start and stop Live Wallpapers on the Lock Screen without interacting with your display
- Add or remove shadows and other aesthetics from notifications on the Lock Screen
- Make the Touch ID view appear for more than just showing notifications
- Skip the Face ID view and automatically display the passcode screen instead
Some of the aforementioned features can make using your iPhone a lot more exciting, such as automatic Live Wallpapers and customizable notification aesthetics. For those who don’t know what a Live Wallpaper is, it’s basically a video-esque wallpaper that users would typically need to use a Haptic Touch on to animate, but thanks to Arise, that animation can now take place automatically.
Other creature comforts such as automatically displaying Notification Center or the Today page can be useful depending on how you use your device. If you’re always checking your iPhone for notifications, then the automatic Notification Center display option might come in handy; alternatively, those who are always checking their widget data may prefer to view the Today widget page when waking or unlocking their device instead.
After you install Arise, you can configure these options however you want via the dedicated preference pane that gets added to the Settings app:
Here, you can:
- Choose how notifications are presented (off, wake, or unlock)
- Choose how the Today page is presented (off, wake, or unlock)
- Choose how Live Wallpapers are started (off, wake, or unlock)
- Choose how Live Wallpapers are stopped (off, wake, or unlock)
- Play audio
- Enable and configure notification shadows (default, always, never)
- Configure Face ID/Touch ID display (default, always, never)
A respring button is included at the bottom of the preference pane to help you save any changes you make.
The developer has kindly provided a demonstration video showcasing some of Arise’s Best features at work:
Those interested in giving Arise a try can purchase the tweak for just $0.99 from the Dynastic Repo repository via their preferred package manager. The tweak supports jailbroken iOS 13 devices
Do any of Arise’s features in particular stand out to you? Let us know in the comments section below.