A lot of the focus this past week has been on Apple’s WWDC 2020 keynote in which the Cupertino-based company unveiled the latest and greatest operating systems for its line of devices including iPhones and iPads, Apple Watches, Apple TVs, and Macs, among other things. But one of the things that got overshadowed amid all the excitement was a parallel address centric to the jailbreak community known as WWTC 2020.
WWTC stands for Worldwide Tweaks Conference, and it’s fundamentally a live-streamed presentation akin to Apple’s WWDC in which jailbreak developers take the stage to discuss some of their creations rather than Apple’s executive staff taking the stage to discuss the company’s latest and upcoming software.
The WWTC 2020 keynote was presented on Tuesday, June 23rd via Twitch and included live Discord interaction for jailbreak fans. The presentation has since been uploaded to YouTube so that anyone who missed it can now watch it on their free time.
A Redditor and member of the /r/jailbreak subreddit was kind enough to outline the major talking points of the WWTC 2020 event, and such as follows:
– SUPERCHARGE – tweaks in jailed apps on jailed devices AND completely on device sideloading (Kabir, aesign)
– Haske – Spotlight anywhere (Tr1fecta)
– Selenium – better temporary notification snoozing (LGariv)
– Chromatophore – categorized, searchable emoji (Samg_is_a_Ninja)
– Minotaur – Redesigned notification center in status bar (Muirey03)
– Antara – Redesigned notification center on lock screen (Tr1Fecta & MegaDev)
– Triton – Nonintrusive incoming call and in-call screen (theforevermachine & GabriellTK)
– DoomCC – Play Doom directly from tvOS control center (JTV)
– Ash – Less used app icons become grayscale (burrit0z)
– Crane – Allows multiple “profiles” for app store apps (like Slices) (opa334)
– Littera – Font styling via Unicode text characters (like Textyle) (Samg_is_a_Ninja and R0wDrunner)
– Signal Reborn – Visually represent connected cell towers (BlueDoughnutXR)
– Translucency Parallax – App backgrounds show translucent wallpaper view (EthanRDoesMC)
– Aurore – Use playlists as alarm tones (Zhenguwu)
– SuccessionCLI – Restore iOS devices over SSH (Samg_is_a_Ninja & Hassan’s Tech)
– Shift – translucent/glyph icons that respond to light/dark modes (23Aaron)
– Viper – Home Screen/Lock Screen widgets and layout editor (Esquilli)
– Astrid – Highly customizable card-based app switcher with music controls (MTAC)
– Snell (update) – adds tvOS and Airpods connect styles (Samg_is_a_Ninja)
– Sentro – Brings back iOS 9/10 control center designs (Tr1Fecta & Qwertyuiop1379)
– Arise – Beautifully show full notification center on unlock (EthanRDoesMC)
– libhooker – tweak injection library for odyssey and chimera jailbreaks (CoolStar)
– TypeStatus 3 – get notified when someone reads your messages or starts typing (kirb)
– BirdPoop – Cheat for GamePigeon
It’s not only thrilling to have a jailbreak-centric alternative to Apple’s own WWDC keynote address, but it’s also cool to hear the developers’ own voices as they discuss their projects and ambitions. It’s not far from the truth to say that these are the people who make jailbreaking so fun, as without them, we wouldn’t have any of the incredible jailbreak tweaks the community has come to know and love.
The full video of the keynote has been uploaded to YouTube, and for those interested in watching it, we’ve embedded it below:
What did you think about WWTC 2020? Let us know in the comments section below.