Apple works hard to make each incremental iOS release look spiffier, but some places that don’t receive as much attention as they should include the native power down menu and volume HUD interfaces, just to name a few.
With a newly-released jailbreak tweak called Modernize by iOS developer tylerd3v, you can change that. Just as the name implies, it can make the aforementioned interfaces more useful and aesthetically pleasing.
In the screenshot example above, you’ll see that Modernize replaces the native power down slider with a versatile menu that lets you do any of the following things:
- Safe Mode
- Safe Shutdown
- Shut Down
Upon installing the tweak, you’ll find a preference pane in the Settings app where you can configure its interfaces to your liking:
As you’ll notice, the preference pane is divided into several sections, including Power Menu, SpringBoard, System Wide, and Volume HUD, which each contain various options pertaining to the part of iOS that they represent.
From the Power Menu preference pane, you can:
- Toggle power menu customizations on or off on demand
- Enable or disable animations
- Choose the animation you’d like:
- Toggle Dark Mode on or off
- Choose a blur style:
- Extra Light
- Customize the buttons:
- Toggle Respring button on or off and configure a color for it
- Toggle Reboot button on or off and configure a color for it
- Toggle Safe Mode button on or off and configure a color for it
- Toggle Safe Shutdown button on or off and configure a color for it
- Toggle Shut Down button on or off and configure a color for it
- Toggle Cancel button on or off and configure a color for it
From the SpringBoard preference pane, you can:
- Toggle SpringBoard features on or off on demand
- Hide the Home screen Today view
- Hide the Lock screen Today view
- Show Lock screen quick actions
From the System Wide preference pane, you can disable the annoying beta alert messages on any jailbroken iOS beta installation.
And lastly, from the Volume HUD preference pane, you can:
- Enable or disable volume HUD customizations
- Choose the display location where the volume HUD appears:
- Toggle the drop shadow on or off
- Hide or show the volume HUD on the Lock screen
- Customize the volume HUD background:
- Enable or disable a custom background
- Choose the preferred background style:
- Configure a custom background corner radius
- Configure a custom background padding
- Customize the volume HUD slider:
- Change the slider color:
- Change the slider height
- Change the slider width
- Change the corner radius
- Change the vertical offset
- Change the horizontal offset
- Change the slider color:
The developer includes an Apply button at the top right of the primary preference so that you can save any changes you make to the tweak’s settings. A ‘reset to defaults’ option is also available.
If you’re ready to replace some of iOS’ aging native interfaces with something more ‘modern,’ then you can download Modernize for $3.00 from the Packix repository in Cydia or Sileo. The tweak supports most jailbroken iOS 11.0-12.1.2 devices, but does not currently support the A12(X) variety.
What’s your favorite part about Modernize? Share with us in the comments section below!