Your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radios are always searching for new devices and networks, even when they aren’t being used. That said, both can have an impact on your device’s battery life, and a new free jailbreak tweak called AutoBlue by iOS developer Karimo299 attempts to help you find that ideal sweet spot in between performance and battery savings.
AutoBlue works by automatically disabling Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi after a certain amount of time of being unused. The timers are fully configurable by the end user, and you can even configure the triggers that will re-enable Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi whenever they become disabled by the tweak.
Once installed, AutoBlue puts a preference pane in the Settings app where you can configure the tweak:
Here, you can:
- Enable or disable AutoBlue on demand
- Toggle the Bluetooth timer on or off independently of the Wi-Fi timer
- Choose the number of minutes that will be used for the Bluetooth timeout
- Re-enable Bluetooth when you plug your handset into a power source
- Re-enable Bluetooth when you open a specific app on your device
- Toggle the Wi-Fi timer on or off independently of the Bluetooth timer
- Choose the number of minutes that will be used for the Wi-Fi timeout
- Allow your device to toggle cellular data along with Wi-Fi
- Reset all settings to their defaults
The developer provides a Respring button at the bottom of the preference pane that you’ll want to use each time you make changes to the tweak’s settings. Doing so ensures that your new options are saved to your device and that you experience all the benefits of AutoBlue.
For the most part, modern iOS handsets have become so battery efficient that they can last all day, but AutoBlue can help those of you that use your device more than most and struggle to keep a charge throughout the day.
Do you think AutoBlue would improve your iPhone’s user experience? Tell us why or why not in the comments section below.