Apple originally introduced the humble notification banner to replace the intrusive notification alert pop-up in iOS, but Apple has since made those notification banners much taller, making them more intrusive than they were initially designed to be.
Here to solve that problem is a new jailbreak tweak called TinyBanners by iOS developer donbytyqi, which just as the name implies, makes iOS’ notification banners smaller such that they aren’t as intrusive.
TinyBanners is configurable, which means you can control how your notification banners look when they materialize. In the screenshot examples above, you’ll notice that the banners can be resized a multitude of ways such that they cover as little of the surrounding area as possible.
Once installed, TinyBanners adds a preference pane to the Settings app where you can configure the tweak to your liking:
Here, you can:
- Toggle TinyBanners on or off on demand
- Enable the tweak on both Lock screen and Notification Center
- Make notification banners “Extra Tiny”
- Snap notification banners to the Status Bar
- Darken notification banner backgrounds
- Make the notification banner backgrounds adaptive
- Make the notification banner title adaptive
- Always display white text in notification banners
- Toggle notification banner drop shadow on or off
- Hide the app icon from the notification banner
- Adjust the banner notification’s background opacity via slider
- Enable scrolling text for when the notification content is too long for the banner
- Adjust the scrolling text duration via slider
- Smooth out the scrolling animation
The developer includes a complementary “Test Banner” button at the top and bottom of the preference pane that you can use to view your changes in real-time. Moreover, you can use the Respring button at the bottom of the preference pane to ensure any changes you make to the settings are appended to your device.
If you’re ready to take control of your iPhone’s incoming notification banners and make them less intrusive, then you can download TinyBanners from Cydia’s Packix repository for $1.99. TinyBanners is only compatible with jailbroken iOS 12 devices; consequently, iOS 11 users can’t use the tweak.
Will you be adding TinyBanners to your jailbroken iOS 12 handset? Share why or why not in the comments section below.