Readdle, the Ukrainian developer of fine productivity software, has refreshed its PDF management and annotation app, PDF Expert for OS X and PDF Expert for iOS, with support for Apple’s Handoff technology.
With Handoff, PDF Expert users can start editing a PDF document on their iPhone or iPad and then continue right where they left off on their Mac, and vice versa.
In addition, today’s update includes half a dozen enhancements like the ability to select part of a document and crop or copy it.
If you started working on a PDF file in PDF Expert for iPhone and iPad, you can transfer it to your desktop by pressing the new Handoff button in PDF Expert for Mac.
Next, select your file and Handoff will take care of everything, transferring the PDF with all its annotations and edits to the Mac, provided both your iPhone or iPad and Mac are on the same Wi-Fi network and use the same iCloud account.
“We are working on PDF Expert for Mac 2.0 that will include OCR and PDF text editing,” Readdle noted. For those wondering, yes, the upcoming update will be a free upgrade for all existing customers.
The iOS edition of PDF Expert is one of the most downloaded productivity apps on the App Store with over five million users worldwide.
The Mac version released in November 2015 and was picked by Apple as an App of the Year runner-up.
PDF Expert 1.4 highlights
Here’s everything new in this release of PDF Expert:
- Introducing PDF Expert Handoff so you can experience file magic across devices. Start working on your iPhone or iPad and effortlessly pick up on your Mac where you left off.
- Now you can select part of a document and Crop or Copy it.
- PDF Expert will gently ask you whether it should save all changes when you close a document.
- Design of the “Outlines” section was tweaked to be easier to use
- You can now choose whether to open a new document in a new window, or in a new tab.
- There are also some improvements under the hood to improve the stability and the speed of the app.
Today’s update is provided at no charge to existing PDF Expert users.
PDF Expert for Mac requires an Intel-based Mac with OS X 10.10 Yosemite or later and is currently English-only. The Mac app is currently on a 70 percent sale and the price will go up to $59.99 tomorrow.
PDF Expert for iOS requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 8.0 or later.