The sequel to arguably the best and most engaging Star Wars game has finally arrived on the Mac as Aspyr today announced immediate availability of a Mac port for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords.
The game is available for just $6.99 in the Mac App Store, down from its regular $9.99 price point, or through Steam for Mac and Linux platforms.
KOTOR II challenges you to play as the last remaining Jedi Knight while using the power of the Force—for good or evil—to determine the fate of the galaxy. The game supports wide screen mode and native 5K resolution of the 27-inch iMac. It also packs in support for some of the most popular physical controllers around, throws in Game Center achievements for good measure and includes lots of other perks.
This is the best Star Wars RPG game the money can buy.
Created by Obsidian Entertainment, the team that brought you the classic RPG Planescape: Torment, KOTOR II has been updated with Mac and Linux support, in addition to a slew of enhancements such as:
- 37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
- Steam Cloud saves
- Native widescreen resolution support
- Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
- Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
- Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod Team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day
- Oh… and we added a “Force Speed Effects” option in the menu
Check out the screenshots below.
The game supports several controllers, including wired editions of Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers for Windows, Sony’s wireless DualShock joypads for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 and Logitech’s RumblePad 2 and Dual Action hardware.
The system requirements for the Mac edition are as follows:
- Operating System: 10.9.5 (Mavericks), 10.10 (Yosemite)
- CPU Processor: Intel Core i3 (2 cores)
- CPU Speed: 2.2GHz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Hard Disk Space: 10 GB
- Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 3870
- Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 330M
- Video Card (Intel): HD 3000
- Video Memory (VRam): 256 MB
You can also use GameAgent’s Mac Match feature to automatically determine whether your Mac is supported or not. Aspyr has pledged to consider creating a mobile version of the game, but wouldn’t make any promises.
The following video chipsets are not supported:
- ATI Radeon X1000 series, HD 2000 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7000 Series, 8000 series, 9000 series, 320M, GT 100 series
- Intel GMA series
If you’re buying KOTOR II from the Mac App Store, Aspyr will treat you to a free download of The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod which adds a bunch of of extra content that didn’t make the final cut of the game during its initial release.
You may also want to consult Aspyr’s guide on installing mods for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II.
The massive 6.6-gigabyte download requires an Intel-based Mac with OS X 10.9.5 or later. Note that the game is not transferable between Steam and the Mac App Store so if you own one version of the game and want to play the other, you’ll need to purchase it again.