After soft-launching its retro-style arcade flying game inspired by the Flappy Bird craze in Canada, Finland and Poland, Retry by Rovio is now available internationally.
Released under Rovio’s LVL 11 experimental label for internal games which don’t quite fit the overall Rovio brand, the addictive free-to-play download will have you thinking that “you’ve stepped into an 8-bit time machine and gone back to 1986″.
Featuring 8-bit graphics reminiscent of the 1980s arcade machines, Retry is maddeningly difficult (so was Flappy Bird) as you attempt to guide a loop-de-loop plane through a bunch of obstacles, without crashing into anything.
As is the norm for free-to-play releases, you can earn stars to unlock new worlds or buy additional items for real money through In-App Purchases.
“Whether it’s the verdant sloping hills of Summer or the time-bending passages of the Future, these levels are out to do one thing: stop you. Sorry, chief,” developers tease in iTunes release notes accompanying the 66.5-megabyte download.
- Fly. Crash. Repeat. No one said this would be easy.
- Spin for the win. Loop, stall, dive – master the moves, or eternally retry.
- Collect coins. It’s the 80s – what did you expect? Don’t say Bitcoins…
- Daily challenges. Unlock these intense levels and humiliate your Facebook friends.
- Retro 8-bit graphics. Next gen? How ‘bout first gen.
- Slick synthesizer soundtrack. Crank it up and hit the skies.
Check out the official gameplay trailer below.
Retry is available on a freemium basis and requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad running iOS 6.0 or later.
[App Store, The Retry Website]