Thai man allegedly electrocuted by charging iPhone

burnt thai iphone

Another iPhone electrocution has been reported in Asia—this time in Thailand. A 28 year-old man was reportedly killed while using an iPhone 4s, which was believed to be charging using an unauthorized third-party charger.

According to a report from Thai language news outlet Daily News Thailand, on Monday, police in the Rayong province found an unnamed man lying dead on the floor of his home holding a burnt iPhone 4S in his left hand…

MacRumors has a rough translation of the report:

Local police found that the smartphone was still connected to a charger in a nearby power outlet, indicating that the victim had likely been talking on the phone while charging it at the same time. 

Photographs taken of the charger show a blue model different from the standard white ones that Apple includes with every iPhone, suggesting that it was a cheaply made fake”

This marks at least the third time in the last 6 months that an iPhone has been a factor in a fatal or near-fatal electrocution. A Chinese flight attendant died back in July after she was reportedly electrocuted by her charging iPhone 4.

In fact, the issue has received so much attention that Apple had to issue an advisory in China, warning people to steer clear of unauthorized chargers. And it has since launched a ‘Takeback Program’ for third-party USB adapters.

Of course, it’s worth noting that mobile devices from Samsung and other manufacturers have been reported in similar cases, but because of Apple’s sheer size and visibility, it tends to grab more headlines.