Just a few hours ago, MuscleNerd tweeted about the release of the long-awaited RedSn0w jailbreak for iPhone 3.1.2. This version of RedSn0w is actually a beta version (redsn0w 0.9beta3) but it seems very stable from what I hear.
Since it’s still a beta version, it hasn’t been posted on the Dev Team blog yet but more info about RedSn0w 0.9 beta 3 can be found here. If you’re too lazy to read the full article, here is a rundown of the most important points:
- RedSn0w 0.9 will jailbreak all iPhones and iPod Touch (except iPod Touch 3G)
- It will jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.2
- It will only unlock the iPhone 2G (install UltraSn0w from Cydia for iPhone 3G and 3GS)
- RedSn0w will modify your current filesystem, so your existing baseband, data and applications should remain intact
- If you have a late-model iPhone 3GS or an iPod touch 2G whose serial number begins with “MC”, you can use redsn0w to jailbreak but you are currently restricted to “tethered” rebooting
For full details about RedSn0w 0.9 beta 3, please read the Dev Team’s article about it.
I just wrote a tutorial on how to use RedSn0w to jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.2. Make sure to check it out if you’re not sure how to use RedSn0w. In the meanwhile, you may download RedSn0w 0.9 beta 3 for Windows and Mac from our download page.