As I announced earlier this week, Apple released it’s iPhone firmware 2.1 this morning and is now downloadable via iTunes. Note that you will need iTunes 8 to be able to download and install firmware 2.1.
This update includes:
- Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls
- Significantly better battery life for most users
- Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
- Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
- Faster installation of 3rd party applications
- Fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes for users with lots of third party applications
- Improved performance in text messaging
- Faster loading and searching of contacts
- Improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
- Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages (in case you missed the beep the 1st time)
- Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
- Genius playlist creation
To get this 2.1 update, simply connect your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes 8 and click “Check for update”.
According to the DevTeam, this new iTunes 8 detects and prevents the Pwnage exploit. No word from the DevTeam so far on when they will release and updated version of the Pwnage software. This means if you’re on a jailbroken iPhone, DO NOT UPDATE yet!