Half Brick Studios, the Australia-based developer behind hit titles like Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride, has released a new game today for iOS. It’s called Band Stars, and it’s universal, meaning it supports both the iPhone and the iPad.
Band Stars is a simulation game, which tasks you with forming a band and spending time in the studio recording music. The goal of the game is to complete various challenges and reach the top of local, national and global music charts…
From the App Store description:
“Form a band, hit the studio and start recording! Train up your band and complete challenges as you make your way to the top of the charts. Fame and fortune await! Set your sights on world stardom and make your way to the top of the local, national and global charts. Discover each of the 50 super-cool Band Stars characters and complete over 200 unique challenges!”
Some of the game’s top features:
- Compete with your friends for the highest chart position and the most fans
- Blend different genres and lyrical styles to create chart topping hits
- Pull off insane solos to boost your song points
- Hire and train your band members
- Unlock all 50 band members, each with their own style and set of custom challenges
- Earn piles of coin and upgrade your gear to dominate the world of music
- Deck out your studio with hot tubs and arcade machines to keep your musicians happy
And your customary gameplay trailer:
Half Brick actually soft-launched this game in the Australia App Store back in August and it’s currently sitting at a 4.5 star rating. It features music from a variety of genres including pop, rock, metal, urban, electronica, punk, and world music.
Band Stars is completely free to play, but—you guessed it—there are some in-game items that will require purchase. You can of course disable in-app purchases in your device’s settings, but the fact that they’re there will keep some folks away.
If you’d like to check it out for yourself, you can download Band Stars from the App Store.