As many of you may know, Twitter announced a lengthy list of changes to its API used by third party clients last fall. The deadline for developers to meet the new requirements is March 5th, and apps that don’t comply will cease functioning.
As such, the Tapbots team has updated both its iOS and Mac Tweetbot apps today to adhere to the new API changes. Most of the them are under the hood, but you will notice some UI differences. We’ve got the full change logs after the fold…
The release notes for Tweetbot version 2.7.2 are minimal, and look identical for both the iPhone and iPad apps:
- Updated to use Twitter’s 1.1 API
- Updated to meet Twitter’s new UI requirements
The developers also note that “You MUST upgrade to Tweetbot 2.7.2 or later by March 5th, 2013. All previous versions will stop working due to Twitter API changes.”
The release notes for the Mac app, however, are much more exciting, as its update includes several changes:
- New options for menubar icon and dock badge. See Notifications in Preferences.
- Enable/disable notifications when a specific user tweets. Control-click on a user you are following and choose ‘Enable/Disable Notifications’ from the context menu.
- Thumbnail support for Vine and Flickr.
- Ability to reorder accounts in account preferences.
- Support for adding .mp4 video to tweets.
- Fixed issue with uploading animated gifs.
- Can now drag .mp4 or images into app icon to create a new tweet.
- Can now open profiles or tweets on twitter.com.
- Clicking on the date label in the status detail will open in your browser.
- If the username/hashtag completion popover appears and you press up arrow when there’s no selection or the top item selected, the popover now goes away. Same when at the bottom.
- Fixed the issue where ‘goto user’ would fail if there was a space before or after the username.
- Fixed the issue where a twitter search url didn’t work as expected in some cases.
- Fixed the issue where if someone faved your tweet it looked like you faved it.
- ‘View in Favstar’ now respects open links in background preference
- Fixed the issue where when creating new tweet, typing something, hitting escape and then clicking somewhere would dismiss the tweet.
- Fixed the issue with changing muted keyword durations.
- Updated to use Twitter’s 1.1 API.
- Updated to meet some of Twitter’s new UI requirements.
And again, Tapbots warns that users must update to Tweetbot 1.2 or later by March 5th, or it will stop working.
Twitter has come under a lot of fire lately for the way that it’s been treating its third party development community. These API changes are just the latest frustration. Last fall, it started limiting how many users outside clients could have.
At any rate, you’ll want to grab this latest Tweetbot update. The deadline’s still a few weeks away, but you might as well get it over with. Mac app users will especially want to update, as it actually includes a lot of solid improvements.