Chances are pretty good that you’ve heard about WinZip at some point in your life. The compression utility, which exists on both Windows and Mac OS, has been around since 1991. Wow.
Now it looks like you’ll be able to use WinZip’s software while on the go, as WinZip Computing has just released an [extremely limited] iOS version of its popular app…
Features of WinZip for iOS include:
- Open Zip files and Zip attachments from email
- Browse and view Zip files, including multi-file attachments
- Open encrypted Zip files
- Copy of the contents of Zip files to the clipboard
- View Zip file attachments from webmail (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc)
- Zipped file types that can be previewed: .txt, .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, .rtf, .pdf, .key, .numbers, .pages, .htm, .jsp, .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .tif, .tiff, .png, .gif
It’s worth noting that you can’t actually access (edit, download photos, etc.) files from within WinZip, and you can’t, in turn, add files to a .zip archive.
But if you’re just in need of a .zip file viewer on your iOS device, you can’t go wrong with one of the most trusted names in the business. You can download the app, which works with both the iPhone and iPad, from the App Store for free.
What do you think about WinZip for iOS?