Not even a week after showing solid proofs of a successful iPhone 3GS jailbreak, GeoHot officially released PurpleRa1n, a tool to jailbreak the iPhone 3GS. The Dev Team planned to release their 3GS jailbreak after the OS 3.1 update but GeoHot just couldn’t wait.
Normally I don’t make tools for the general public, and rather wait for the dev team to do it. But guys, whats up with waiting until 3.1? That isn’t how the game is played. We release, Apple fixes, we find new holes. It isn’t worth waiting because you might have the “last” hole in the iPhone. What last hole…this isn’t golf. I’ll find a new one next week. Also your purplera1nyday files ensure that you can always get back to a jailbroken state, so if you have it it’s just a matter of tools.
Before going through a short PurpleRa1n tutorial, there are a few things you need to know:
- This is a beta release with some major hiccups. It is not stable at all.
- PurpleRa1n only works with 32 Bit Windows XP SP2 works fine on Windows and Mac
- You must have the latest version of iTunes installed
- The jailbreak is incomplete and many apps won’t work (ie WinterBoard)
Jump the break to read the full tutorial.
How to jailbreak iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n:
1. Make sure you have installed the latest version of iTunes.
3. Plug in your iPhone to your computer. Make sure iTunes is closed.
4. Run PurpleRa1n and click “Make it Ra1n”. You should get a message saying that your iPhone is “waiting for reboot”. Your iPhone will then reboot in recovery mode and you should see the image above on your iPhone screen. If you don’t see this image after a few minutes, then it probably failed and you have to repeat the process (remember, I told you it is very unstable).
5. After a few minutes, your iPhone will reboot and you will have a new icon on your springboard: Freeze.
6. Launch the Freeze app and install Cydia from there.
7. Once Cydia is installed, close Freeze and reboot your iPhone.
8. Launch Cydia and do a complete update.
9. Should you want to get rid of the Freeze icon, install CyDelete from Cydia, and delete the Freeze icon as you would delete an App Store app (hold until the icons wiggle and delete it).
10. Should you want to unlock your iPhone 3GS, simply install UltraSn0w from Cydia.
That’s it. Pretty simple, but again, it is very buggy so use it at your own risk! I do recommend for most of you to wait the iPhone 3GS jailbreak by the Dev Team. This jailbreak should come in the next few days so be patient!
All the props go to GeoHot! Thanks David for emailing me about that and getting me off my bed so quickly on a Saturday morning