Powerbeats Pro, an updated version of the Beats-branded sporty earphones without the wire between them, can now be pre-ordered from Apple.com ahead of launch next Friday, May 10.
Announced in April, Powerbeats Pro feature Apple’s custom headphone chip, dubbed the H1, that brings Bluetooth 5-powered faster device switching, better connection reliability with fewer dropped connections and longer battery life, in addition to the hands-free Hey Siri feature.
Unlike AirPods, Powerbeats Pro are resistant to sweat because they’re meant to be used for sports and workouts, and they include a noise-blocking feature. They sound better than their predecessors thanks to an enhanced linear piston driver that uses a pressurized airflow to create a powerful acoustic response, low distortion and great dynamic range.
Powerbeats Pro highlights:
- Sound – Sound was the highest priority in the development of Powerbeats Pro. Completely re-engineered from the inside out, the earphones boast an upgraded linear piston driver that leverages an efficient, pressurized airflow to create a powerful acoustic response in a small package. Enhanced sound quality means incredibly low distortion and great dynamic range across the entire frequency curve.
- Fit – To achieve the best possible fit on the widest array of ears, over 20 configurations were electronically modeled and physically tested. The result is a completely new, ergonomically angled acoustic housing that nests comfortably in the concha bowl of the ear with an off-axis nozzle. It comes with four sizes of ear tips and a redesigned, adjustable ear hook.
- Talk – Powerbeats Pro delivers incredible voice performance for phone calls. A first for Beats, a speech-detecting accelerometer in each earbud and two beam-forming microphones per side target your voice and filter out external sounds such as wind and ambient noise. This means you can answer a quick mid-workout call at the gym with clarity and confidence.
- Battery – Each earbud has up to 9 hours of listening time and more than 24 hours of combined playback with the magnetic closure case. With Fast Fuel, you get 1.5 hours of playback after just 5 minutes of charging and up to 4.5 hours after 15 minutes of charging.
- Connectivity – Class 1 Bluetooth® technology offers extended range and exceptional cross-body performance, meaning fewer dropouts. Each earbud independently connects to your device, so you can choose to use one or both.
- Apple H1 Chip – Simply say “Hey Siri” for voice-activated assistance without having to reach for your iPhone. Powered by the new Apple H1 chip, Powerbeats Pro delivers a faster and more stable wireless connection to your devices.
As I said, these earbuds will launch in stores the following Friday, May 10, so go ahead and pre-order yours from Apple.com if you’re interested. They’re available in Black, Ivory, Moss and Navy, priced at $250 (see where they fit in terms of pricing versus other popular earbuds).
The earbuds are currently available in the US and Canada.