French developer Eric Castro came up with yet another brilliant idea to take advantage of Touch ID, but this time, the tweak is not used to directly interact with your iPhone, but rather with your Mac…
As demonstrated in this video, Castro has developed a tweak called BioUnlock that lets you unlock your Mac using Touch ID. Somewhat similar to the Knock app we mentioned a few months ago, BioUnlock seems to work slightly differently for the time being.
Of course, this is still work in progress, and much still needs to be done, according to the developer. Castro hopes to be able to create a simple pairing tool and UI for the Mac and for the tweak itself. He also notes in a Reddit post that the tool will be Mac only at first, and Windows support will come later.
The informal ETA for this tweak is the end of January. We’ll make sure to go hands on (or maybe I should say fingers on) with BioUnlock once it is available in Cydia.
In the meantime, please tell us what you think about BioUnlock. Is that something you’d use?
Other Touch ID Tweaks you may want to check out:
- iTouchSecure: an amazing Touch ID security app for autofilling passwords
- 1Pal: a tweak for saving 1Password’s master password to the Keychain
- Touchy: launch apps with specific fingers using Touch ID
- BioLockdown: the best way to secure apps with Touch ID
- BioProtect: Protect individual apps with Touch ID
- AppLocker: Secure individual apps with Touch ID
- Virtual Home: an amazing Touch ID jailbreak tweak
Thanks Hugo for the tip!