The Daily, a News Corporation-run digital newspaper that exclusively debuted on the iPad in January of last year, is finally available for the iPhone. Following a 15-month wait, the iPad-only publication has now been reformatted for the iPhone.
It’s still based on a recurring subscription model, with a caveat: The iPhone-only subscription is priced 50 percent lower than on the iPad, yet offers the same features like social sharing and commenting, 360-degree photos, interactive charts and more…
Just like its iPad counterpart, The Daily for iPhone is a free download The Daily for iPhone – The Daily Holdings, Inc. from the App Store, but you’re gonna have to subscribe to content for $1.99 a month, or $19.99 a year.
This is half the asking price of the iPad subscription which stands at $0.99 a week, or $39.99 a year. iPad subscribers also get to enjoy full access to the newspaper content on their iPhone free of charge.
Those unwilling to take the plunge still get to read a chosen few articles for free every day.
Your release notes:
• 7 sections updated every day: News, Business, Gossip, Opinion, Arts & Life, Apps & Games, and Sports
• over 100 pages of original content every single day of the year—designed for the iPad
• world-class editors and contributors like Sasha Frere-Jones (Arts & Life) and Gary Vaynerchuk (Business)
• 360-degree photos and immersive photography that take you deeper inside the story
• interactive charts, info-graphics and clickable hot spots
• in-app commenting — including audio comments
• your favorite sports’ teams scores, news and photos
• you can save articles to read later and share them with your friends e-mail, Twitter and Facebook
Here, a couple screenies…
In addition to iPad and iPhone versions, The Daily is also available for Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.1 and on Facebook.
Now, how about that universal binary instead of two separate downloads?
Also, if you could please re-write the app from scratch because it’s a shame that the iPad version is one of the most sluggish digital newspapers out there.
I must comment that I very much wanted to subscribe to this digital newspaper, but soon changed my mind.
It’s not that the price is unreasonable – not at all – I just find their content lacking.
Besides, Rupert Murdoch, man!
Are you subscribed to The Daily?