[digg-me]That’s a lot of work for me this morning with all these news falling… I just posted about a tutorial for QuickPwn 1.1 for Mac OS X and now I’m gonna show you how to jailbreak your iPhone 3G with PwnageTool. This tutorial (or guide) will show you how to use PwnageTool 2.1 and how to update your iPhone to 2.1.
Before we start, make sure you backup your iPhone in iTunes and also download your iPhone firmware from here and save it to your desktop.
- Download PwnageTool 2.1 from here.
- in iTunes, go to the summary tab and download (do not update!) the latest iPhone firmware 2.1
- Launch PwnageTool 2.1
- Select your device and click “Next”
- Select the right iPhone firmware
- You will then get a message that says “We will now create an .ispw file that you can use to restore your iPhone with iTunes. This file will be placed on your desktop. Do you want to continue?”. Click YES
- The it will ask “Do you have an iPhone contract that would normally activate with iTunes?”. If you are a legit AT&T customer, click YES, if not, click NO
- Then wait while PwnageTool 2.1 builds the custom .ispw file. It could take a few minutes.
- Enter your password when asked to. Then wait for the custom .ipsw to be built
- The it will ask if your iPhone has been Pwned before. Click YES or NO
- Turn off your iPhone
- You will then get a message saying: “Close the PwnageTool application, put your iPhone into recovery mode, start iTunes and restore with your custom firmware bundle”.
- Close PwnageTool
- Put your iPhone into recovery mode (Google it or go to YouTube to see how to do this)
- Start iTunes. iTunes will say “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.” Click OK
- Do NOT just click “Restore”. Hold the OPTION key + click “Restore”
- With Finder, select the Custom .ipsw file PwnageTool created on your desktop
- Select whether to set up as a new iPhone or restore your it from a backup. I recommend setting it up as a new phone. You will lose all your contacts and everything but these can be synced again later on. Restoring from a backup sometimes created problems.
- You’re done!
How was this PwnageTool 2.1 guide? Hope that helped!