TSMC to be sole supplier of processors for iPhone 7, report says

By , Feb 10, 2016

iFixit iPhone 6s teardown image 001 Battery

A new report late Wednesday claims that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company will be the exclusive supplier of mobile processors for Apple’s next generation iPhone. The news comes from South Korea’s Electronic Times, via Reuters, who cites unnamed sources within the industry.

ET says that TSMC beat out rival, and long-time Apple chip-maker, Samsung for the job thanks to its ability to scale its 10-nanometer process. Their report lines up with previous analyst predictions, who felt TSMC would take 100% of Apple’s next-gen chip orders thanks to its InFO chip tech.

If true, such a move would be a huge blow to Samsung’s semiconductor arm, which counts Apple among its top clients. It’s estimated that the tech giant’s chip division has handled as much as 70% of the orders for the A9 processor found in the iPhone 6s, with TSMC making up the other 30%.

Should Apple’s naming conventions continue, the new chip will be called the “A10” and make its debut in the iPhone 7. Even though it’s not expected until September, several reports have come out about the handset, suggesting it will feature waterproofing, wireless charging and no 3.5mm jack.

Source: Reuters

  • Share:
  • Follow:
  • Rodney Coleman

    Take that Samsung hahahaha

  • John Charles

    if like TSMC 100% very good okay.

  • Extremely off-topic, but shouldn’t the iPhone have a Li-Po battery?

  • Dao Sasone

    Dam 10 nano. I wonder how low this will get.

  • iPhoneWINS

    God i hope this iPhone 7 is awesome !!! I skipped the damn 6S my regular 6 is feeling old