That wait is finally over. After more than a year of delays, teasers and speculation, Gameloft’s ‘Modern Combat 5: Blackout’ is now available in the App Store. The game, which is one of the year’s most highly-anticpated titles, costs $6.99 and features no in-app purchases.
For those of you who haven’t been keeping up with our MC5 coverage, it starts out in Italy, where you have been sent on a special operation to secure a transport of WMDs from a particularly well-armed terrorist group. Keep reading for a full overview and gameplay clip…
An overview of the game’s storyline:
The story will indeed begin in Venice, Italy where Phoenix, the main character of the game, is sent on a special operation to secure a transport of WMDs from a particularly well-armed terrorist group. From there the plot will take gamers on a globe-trotting adventure, including a particularly harrowing sequence in Tokyo where Phoenix has to fight amidst total anarchy while trying to convince his allies to accept an uncomfortable secret. By the end, players will have experienced a range of visually-stunning settings, and thrilling action-packed combat sequences.
And some of the game’s top features:
Choose your favorite class
– 4 customizable classes that you can level up across single- and multiplayer
– Find the play style the suits you: Assault, Heavy, Recon, or Sniper
– Activate class-specific skills by earning and spending Skill Points
– Epic team clashes in Squad vs. Squad matches
– Talk to other players in Global and Squad Chat
– Individual and Squad leaderboards
– Win cool rewards in the limited-time events
Unified progression system
– Accumulate XP and level up by playing both single-player missions and multiplayer matches
– Unlock higher-tier weapons by mastering lower-tier ones
– Customise the perfect weapon using a host of attachments
Now for some screenshots:
And finally, a video showing gameplay:
There are a few things worth noting here. The first is that, as aforementioned, there are no in-app purchases, which is nice considering Gameloft is notorious for them. The second thing is the game requires an Internet connection, meaning playing on the plane, for most, is out.
At any rate, if you’re interested in Modern Combat 5, you can find the game in the App Store for $6.99. It comes in at 708MB, and it’s universal for both iPhone and iPad. On that note, Gameloft says you’ll need an iPad 2 (or newer), iPhone 4s (or newer), or 5th gen iPod touch.