Is it just me, or did last November’s update to the Remote application, which came alongside iTunes 11, significantly affect stability? I use the app on a daily basis to control my Apple TV, and it seems like I’m constantly having to restart it.
Well hopefully that changes today, as Apple has just pushed out an update for Remote, bringing it to version 3.0.1. The app’s change log says that it includes a number of improvements, including search results, song rating and stability…
For those unfamiliar with the app, here is a list of Remote’s features:
- Control iTunes and Apple TV from anywhere in your home
- A simplified look with new ways to browse your library
- See upcoming songs with Up Next
- See all songs in an album with Expanded view on an iPad
- Add new songs to hear them next and then automatically continue where you left off
- Browse, listen to, and control your iTunes Match library on Apple TV
- Pause, rewind, fast-forward, shuffle, and adjust the volume from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- View album, movie, and TV show artwork
- Create and update iTunes playlists, including Genius playlists
- Search your entire iTunes library
- Control iTunes to send music to AirPlay speakers
- Control the volume on each speaker independently
- Use simple gestures to control Apple TV
- Enter text with the keyboard
- Control shared libraries on iTunes and the new Apple TV
And here are the 3.0.1 release notes from the App Store:
“Includes improvements for search results, rating songs, sorting podcasts, and general stability.”
It may look like a minor update, but the ‘general stability’ part could make all of the difference in the world if it manages to reduce the amount of time I have to spend messing with the app to get my Apple TV to recognize its commands.
If you’ve been having similar problems with Remote, you’ll want to update right away and see if it improves its steadiness . And even if you haven’t, it looks like there are some other improvements in 3.0.1 that will make your life easier.
As always, you can find Remote in the App Store for free.