Yesterday we showed you how to hide the maligned Newsstand app using StifleStand — a new Mac app from developer, Filippo Bigarella.
What makes StifleStand special is that it doesn’t require a jailbreak in order to use it, which means that it even works with the new iPhone 5. No doubt, hundreds of users who despise Newsstand flocked to the app, but Windows users were sadly left in the cold…that is, until now.
As promised by Bigarella, and as noted by iOS blog ModMyi, a Windows version of StifleStand has been created, and it is now available for download. Check inside for a brief video demonstration of StifleStand for Windows, along with the download link.
Just like the Mac app, using StifleStand on Windows is a piece of cake. Here’s how to do it.
Step 1: Download and run StifleStand as an administrator.
Step 2: Connect your iOS device.
Step 3: Swipe to the page where your Newsstand app resides.
Step 4: Click Hide Newsstand on StifleStand, and watch the Newsstand app be whisked away into a folder called “Magic”.
That’s all there is to it, but do note the following points:
- You will not be able to use Newsstand while inside a folder, attempting to launch it will send your back to your Lock screen if not jailbroken, or kick you into safe mode if jailbroken.
- To regain your Newsstand app, simple drag it out of the folder.
- You can add additional apps to the Magic folder, and use them as usual.
- You can rename the Magic folder if you choose to do so.
- If you have problems getting StifleStand to work, it may be because you have too many apps installed on your device, as noted by Filippo Bigarella in this tweet.
Special thanks to Filippo, comex, and iH8sn0w for their efforts. Extra thanks to SwissHttp for the Windows port.
What do you think? Will you be hiding your Newsstand app now that a Windows version of StifleStand is available?