This RedSn0w guide & tutorial will show you how to use RedSn0w to jailbreak your iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, or iPod Touch 2G. Note that this step is required to unlock your iPhone 3G using UltraSn0w later on. For more information about the latest jailbreak methods for each iPhone, I recommend you read this before doing anything.
This guide is for PC users but I assume the steps are very similar on Mac. If you want to build custom firmware files with more flexibility it is suggested that you use PwnageTool on Mac OS X (PwnageTool jailbreak tutorial – PwnageTool unlock guide).
1. Before doing anything, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and the latest firmware 3.0 installed on your iPhone.
2. Create a new folder on your desktop. In this folder, download RedSn0w as well as the latest 3.0 firmware for your iPhone from our iPhone downloads page (make sure you pick the right firmware).
3. Unzip and launch RedSn0w.
4. Click “browse” and select the 3.0 firmware you downloaded in a folder in step 2.
5. Once the firmware has been successfully identified, click “next”.
6. Select “install Cydia” and click “next”.
7. Make sure your iPhone is plugged into the computer and that it is off. Click “next”.
8. RedSn0w will then guide you to put your iPhone into DFU mode. Hold down the power button for 2 seconds. Without releasing the power button, also hold down the home button for 10 seconds. Without releasing the home button, release the power button but keep holding the home button for 30 seconds.
9. If done correctly, your iPhone should reboot and the jailbreak process should start. This step may take up to 15-20 minutes so be patient.
10. Once this process is over, you will get a message saying that it is “done!”
11. Click the “finish” button and reboot your iPhone. The reboot may take up to 10 minutes so again, be patient.
12. Congratulations, you just jailbroke your iPhone 3.0 with RedSn0w. Cydia should now be on your springboard